The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advantages of using OmniFocus on a Mac versus just an iPad Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I don't own a Mac so I just use OmniFocus with my iPad. Between having my iPad handy and the ability to create tasks via email, I'm able to capture everything that needs to get done reliably. However, it is too cumbersome to easily break up tasks into projects. While large projects warrant the effort involved, I just don't get around to smaller projects that need to be broken down into two or three steps to get to the "Next Action" level.

I'm thinking it will be much easier to do this with OmniFocus using a keyboard and a mouse. Since that would require me to purchase a Mac ($700 if I go with a Mac Mini or $1200 if I go with a Airbook), I wanted to ask people who use OmniFocus on a Mac and an iPad if my conclusions are correct.

With OF 1, the Mac version gives more control over the administration of projects and tasks than either of the iOS products. The ability to take content (folder, project, task) and DUPLICATE it immediately (command-D) is but one example of a time saving step unparalleled on either iOS product.

That said, I read your post as focused primarily on creating tasks in a project structure. In this case, I wonder that some app does not already have a method to convert something, perhaps in a markdown outline format, to an OF project structure. I am thinking for example of something like Editorial ... could it or an equivalent serve your purposes here? Then you would not need the Mac.

Of course, if you are looking for yet another reason to convince someone that you must buy yourself a Mac, then the ability to run OF also on it could be as good as any other excuse.

creating and editing perspectives is available only on the Mac version at this moment. Perspectives unlocks a lot of the hidden power of OmniFocus. Perspectives are used to help you filter out a lot of projects, contexts, and tasks. You use these perspectives to focus only on certain projects or contexts.

The iPad can be used by itself but it is easier to use as part of the OmniFocus ecosystem which includes versions for Mac, iPhone, and iPad.

The Mac version is where do I most of my planning, editing, and project management.

Then I'll use the iPad version if I want to still have access to my OmniFocus database when I'm on the go and lugging a MacBook is not as convenient. I don't really need to create perspectives while on the road but it is certainly easier to do project editing with a bluetooth keyboard.

I'll also use the iPhone version for quick reference, checking off tasks while on-the-go, and quick capture throughout the day. It's like a small little notepad and I can just look up OmniFocus easily, check things off, and add new tasks. I wouldn't be doing any major project editing. I'll leave that to the iPad or the Mac.

But we'll have to wait to see what OmniFocus 2 for iPad will offer. Omni is still grinding away at OF 2 for the Mac. Then they'll set their sights on OF2 for iPad afterwards.

Some cool applescripts as well, like the Templates one. To my knowledge, those don't work on iphone or ipad.

JL