The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > iDisk/MobileMe/.Mac Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Desktop can't sync w/ MobileMe Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Takes a long time before coming back with: Too many open files.

:mad:

Please help!

That's actually an OS X error message; your computer can only have a certain number of files open at a time, and you've hit the limit.

If you reboot the machine, does the problem persist?

Yes. Problem still persists. I recently migrated all my data to a new HD, could that have something to do with it?

Doing a bit more research, it looks like there's a limit to how many files a given application can have open.

The first thing I'd like you to try doing is opening up the Sync preferences on your mac, and pressing the "Show Clients" button. A sheet will slide out that shows a list of machines that are syncing with your database and when they last synced; if there are duplicate entries in the list, or entries for machines you don't sync from any more, please remove them from the list by selecting their entry and then pressing the "Unregister" button.

If you close the sheet and press the sync now button, does the sync still fail?

If so, please send an email to the support ninjas with a link to this forum thread and the output that you get when you post this command into a Terminal.app window and hit return:
Code:
lsof -c OmniFocus
we'll use that info to figure out what exactly is going on here.

No clients show up.

I followed your directions and sent an email to support. Thanks.

Last edited by Woodrow; 2008-11-04 at 11:51 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow View Post
No clients show up.

I followed your directions and sent an email to support. Thanks.
Can you please post the directions that were sent to you by email?

OK, here is what I have done and it is still not working:
  1. Repaired permissions
  2. Cleared all caches
  3. Ran all maintenance scripts
  4. updated prebinding (leopard equivalent)
  5. reboot
  6. back up OF database placed on Desktop
  7. deleted OF
  8. deleted OF prefs, Application support, caches and anything with the word omnifocus
  9. reboot
  10. deleted all mobile me and .mac instances in keychain
  11. unregistered old computer
  12. signed out of mobile me
  13. signed into mobile me
  14. installed OF
  15. reverted to back up OF database
  16. tried mobile me sync with OF

It is still not working. I have received two errors:

and

I have sent the output of lsof to your support email asking for help as well.

Used a webdav server and it is working just fine. So, I am wondering why I cannot connect to MobileME?

I have been in contact with support and they are diligently working away at completing this project, utilizing appropriate contexts, executing next actions. Let's keep our fingers crossed for a speedy resolution.

Lame jokes at GTD humor aside, have you had any luck Lipids? I'm still waiting for a fix.