The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Daily to do list inside OF Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
There are a lot of jobs I do during the day that don't get put into Omnifocus. These are projects that I get that I need to turn around very quickly. Putting these into Omnifocus is overkill. In a way it is like an expanded version of the two-minute rule. I follow InBox Zero and I work out of an action folder in my email program.

What I have started to do is first thing in the morning I will throw together a paper to-do list of those actionable items that need to be done now or during the day. Of course there are some that go to the next day or just get lost in the shuffle.

What I am looking for is a way to do this within Omnifocus so if something does get lost in the shuffle I can find it during the weekly review. I could see myself adding this kind of items to my OF inbox:
- Prep ad for magazine
- Make changes to email blast
- Call the bike shop about tuneup
- Call Dad about meeting for lunch

How would you go about making this a todo list for the day? It should be empty by the end of the day and new ones put in tomorrow. Is it flagged items and perspective? Is it a project titled "Today"?

Yeah, I'd just dump those items into the inbox, then flag them and make sure that view was emptied out by the end of the day. (Emptied either by completing the actions or assigning them to some other project.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Wright View Post

How would you go about making this a todo list for the day? It should be empty by the end of the day and new ones put in tomorrow. Is it flagged items and perspective? Is it a project titled "Today"?
That's exactly what I use flagged items for. I have a perspective with just flagged items, and that's what I work "off of" through much of my day.

I also have a rule for myself that every morning I review flagged items that didn't get completed yesterday and figure out why I didn't get them completed - and then un-flag them. I'm working on trying to keep myself honest in focusing on the "must be done" (i.e., real commitment to do) rather than on the "I'd like to get done" (not fully committed to do). Also, items coming due today get flagged.

This is something fairly new; I don't know how well it will work but I'm doing it.