The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Map points for context with multiple locations? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
is it possible to assign a map point for multiple locations?

let me explain, let's say I have Beer Store as a context under my Errands. There are multiple locations I can get beer from and would like to see on the map the locations so I can organize with other errands

You can do a general search for a location (all Beverages & More stores, for example), but you're only shown the one that is deemed to be the closest one when you bring up the display. I've often wanted the ability to drop a pin somewhere and have it show me how the display would look if the pin represented my location, which is a slightly different way of looking at the problem and might be easier to implement (I don't know what the API to the location services looks like).

Be sure to send in a feature request with Contact Omni (under the gear menu)!

Also, you can do a search for multiple locations. You could have your Beer Store context location set to search: "Beverages & More" OR "Joe's Liquor" OR "Ye Olde Bottle Shoppe" but again, it only shows the closest match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Also, you can do a search for multiple locations. You could have your Beer Store context location set to search: "Beverages & More" OR "Joe's Liquor" OR "Ye Olde Bottle Shoppe" but again, it only shows the closest match.
Now I know where to find you!

Quote:
Ha, if only! :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheQ View Post
Ha, if only! :p
Hey, Brian is in London now, I believe, so have him have a look, eh?

Quote:
Hey, Brian is in London now, I believe, so have him have a look, eh?
Great! Appreciate the tip-off. Could you PM me his MobileMe password so I can locate his iPhone? Thanks!
[+ACTION: prepare cage, get new stick] :eek:

Quote:
You can do a general search for a location (all Beverages & More stores, for example), but you're only shown the one that is deemed to be the closest one when you bring up the display. I've often wanted the ability to drop a pin somewhere and have it show me how the display would look if the pin represented my location, which is a slightly different way of looking at the problem and might be easier to implement (I don't know what the API to the location services looks like).
Thanks for pointing out the ability for a context to be a category of business that can change as you move about. One thing that's worth noting is that you can tune the results with some advanced search queries (e.g. AND, OR, -, quoting, etc.). I usually just refresh my memory with (specifically the tip dialogs):
http://www.google.com/advanced_search

One other thing that I wanted to point out that's a new, lesser known feature is the ability to do exactly what you want (e.g. forecasting your available tasks from a future location). This hasn't made it to the iPhone app yet, but can be used right now on the iPad.

To use, all you need to do, is pan the map so that the blue (current location) dot is no longer visible and you're sufficiently zoomed in (e.g. at approximately the city level or closer). At that point, you should see a HUD like what is attached offering the ability to "Search again in this area." This dialogue only appears if you do have contexts configured with search for their location. We wanted this to be a useful feature for those traveling for business or vacation or just to prepare for a trip across town.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	location-preview.png
Views:	787
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	1622  

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheQ View Post
Great! Appreciate the tip-off. Could you PM me his MobileMe password so I can locate his iPhone? Thanks!
[+ACTION: prepare cage, get new stick] :eek:
Sorry I didn't get a chance to look into this. It was a super-short visit and the activities scheduled for me by my better half in London, Brighton, and Worthing kept me hopping the whole time. :-)

I'll be back in the UK around Christmas, though, and it'll be a longer visit, so I'll have a bit more free time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I'll be back in the UK around Christmas, though, and it'll be a longer visit, so I'll have a bit more free time...
Hey, if you every manage to get anywhere west of London let me know and I'll buy you a brew!