The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Small side bar and long name of projects Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Why is it not possible ?
By long name of projects and small sidebar the name should show like in finder of OS X.
It works if I edit the name of a project and I go to the next project with the mouse.

But it works not if I not edit the name.

Jochen (.de)

I'm not sure I understand. Are you referring to the yellow tooltip that appears when the mouse hovers over an item? It seem that in OmniFocus, the tooltip only appears when an item is selected. Where as in the Finder, the tooltip appears on mouse-over, even if the item is not selected.

Is this what you're talking about? I didn't have to put anything into edit mode.

-Dennis

@Toadling

If I work in finder in list view.
If the name "Name of the file" of the file is to long the finder make it to

"Name ... file"

If I move with the mouse over the name and hold short a yellow small window opens with the complet name.
I thought this works also in OF.

In OF the yellow window comes only if I edit the name of an other project and the cursor is "I" and I move over an other name of a project.

So its better this should work in the same manner as in finder.

Sorry my english not so good.

Jochen (.de)

I see what you mean, Jochen. I think the little yellow windows are usually called "tooltips". And the cursor you're referring to is typically called an "I-beam Cursor".

Anyway, as I mentioned in my previous post, the behavior in OmniFocus is only slightly different from the Finder, at least on my system.

In OmniFocus, the tooltip only appears when an item is selected in the sidebar. Nothing needs to be in edit mode. If the I-beam cursor or tooltip doesn't immediately appear, try moving the cursor off of the current target and then back on again (no need to click).

In the Finder, on the other hand, the tooltip appears on mouse-over, even if the item is not selected or no items are selected.

I hope this helps.

-Dennis

@Dennis

Hello and thanks

I don't mean tooltips.
Now I found on base your help.

If the sidebar small and the name of a projekt to wide the name is with ......

Now I must click on this project.

If I will have a "I-beam Cursor" I must move with the cursor in the main window and back to the sidebar and now the yellow box come with complete name.

This is uncomfortable because I can see the project name in the main window.

Better would be OF has the same behavior as the finder in column view.

When I move with the mouse over the long name with ... a yellow box come direct in column view and show the complete name without ....

Jochen (.de)

Hi Jochen. Yes, I agree, that would be an improvement. Unfortunately, OmniFocus doesn't currently work that way.

I would suggest sending a feature request directly to the Omni Group by selecting the Help -> Send Feedback option from the menu bar. I'm not sure what the proper translation of that menu option would be if you're viewing OmniFocus in German (perhaps Helfen -> Bewertung Übersenden).

It's been over 20 years since I've visited Germany. I lived near Stuttgart for a while in the summer of 1987. But your English is far better than my German ever was. Still, I like to tell my son to eat his dinner so he will be "Gross und stark wie ein Viking!" :)

Cheers,
Dennis

Hi Dennis

Thanks for compliment about my English.

Psssssssst: (((I use Ultralingua))) ;-)

I've send feedback to Omnigroup.

Jochen (.de)