The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Interface looks exactly like that 4 second video Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Yeah, I know that design is a highly personal issue, but I'm going to have to disagree with you on this. The interface is streamlined, and while different from the iPhone and Desktop applications, it works. I'm not saying that everything in the iPad app is perfect. It is version 1.0, after all, but given the Omni Group's history, I'm sure they will refine as it goes into the wild and they get more feedback from users.

However, after using it for the past hour and a half, it is a wonderful way to interact with my lists. To me, everything feels like it's the right size. Colors and icons are consistent and easily decipherable. It IS different from the other versions, true, but that's because the iPad is different. I admire the guys at Omni because they realize that success here isn't just a matter of porting their other software to the platform. The more I use the new iPad version, the more I get a sense of the thoughtfulness and craftsmanship that has gone into the software.

I will say that the iPad software isn't the OF-Everything which will make the desktop or iPod versions redundant. Each has their own strengths and feature sets which are appropriate to the device for which they are intended, and while I can understand why that might frustrate some people, it makes perfect sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atreinke View Post
You are correct whpalmer4 (as usual - thanks for that)
Now if we could just convince my sweetie of the truth of that statement :D

You must have forgotten the 4 second video.

My first impression was also that everything was too big but it's very polished and it's growing on me by the minute.

It offers almost the same experience as the desktop but it's faster and more approachable.

With all the delay drama I was expecting something worse but it's fucking amazing.

Thanks omni, well worth the wait

I understand how to use omnifocus. ( GTD)
I understand the iCal, and it is use for scheduled appointments only and that you should not put your task on the calendar.
I like to see a calendar next to my task and projects so I may determine what my schedule looks like and how to spread it out within that week or month.

After brainstorming and reviews of my omnifocus plans,
I would place my task/ projects list to the left, and my weekly calendar to the right,
Then inputting my task in the calendar places that I can see to be open and doable time and space.

I almost feel that I want an app that supplies the task management and calendar. But the other apps out there don't compare to omni's functionality.

Could someone please give me some examples of how they schedule and plan with their omnifocus and calendar on a weekly or daily practice .... Please

Thank you

now you have forecast that allows you to see the due items for a whole week. Check the video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodiebrad View Post
Ok, so I haven't plunked down my $40 yet. I'm sure I will by the end of today, but I am hesitant, which is disappointing.

When I saw that 4-second video, I couldn't help but laugh! It looked like a complete mess. After a few posts on the forum, I was ensured that that was just a rough mockup, and that the final would look way more polished.

From the screenshots Im seeing on iTunes and the OF website, the final product looks almost identical to that mess I saw on that 4 second video.
I can't comment on how the screenshots look to you compared to the 4-second video, but if you use the program, your feeling might change. I've been using it several weeks now, and it's the best interface among all three platforms (Mac, iPhone, and iPad) I use. I was disappointed with the 4-sec video, but obviously I don't feel the same way with the released version.

I now use the Mac Desktop only for a few special tricks these days; so, that's saying something.

YMMV though.

Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Now if we could just convince my sweetie of the truth of that statement :D
You will have to list that under your "Never going to happen..." context. That's where I keep mine, right under the "convince wife that I know what I'm talking about" action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
It must be a matter of taste. I think OF for iPad is the best looking member of the OF family, and one of the best looking apps on my iPad. I've been beta testing it for a month and find that everything is just the right size for tapping.
I think that you have just become numb to its horror!

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
It must be a matter of taste. I think OF for iPad is the best looking member of the OF family, and one of the best looking apps on my iPad. I've been beta testing it for a month and find that everything is just the right size for tapping.
Agreed. iPad version is instantly and far and away my fav. I really hope omnigroup doesn't make stuff smaller or use the "wasted empty space". Empty space is vital for UIs and I think they did a killer job.

Different strokes for different folks, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogsbreath View Post
I think that you have just become numb to its horror!
Nope. I loved it on first launch.

Curt