The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Help me figure out which OF product to buy Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've been searching through the forums for half an hour, and can't figure out what to buy for my wife and I to both start using OF. We have no interest in overlapping databases (like most people I seem to read about), but we do use the same Mac, though we each have our own iPhone.

Should I buy an OF family pack (which explicitly states it is for installation on more than one computer)? Or just a single license? Can we even have two databases on the same computer? Do I need to buy another computer to have both of us using OF? If not, do you have any suggestions?

A few things to add:

You could just buy 1 license and set up separate logs in into OSX for each of you. This would allow you to keep separate databases if you can install OF just to a specific user.

Then you could each log into the free OG Beta Server to access your tasks on the iPhone.

How many Macs do you have? I think you can install OF on up to two machines provided they aren't running at the same time on the same network.

Single user license is for "single" user. Family pack means more than one user usually.
I believe with separate user accounts you both could use omnifocus on one mac. Or if you are using one user account. Wherever the database is stored, you could create a "shortcut" or an "alias" for those databases and then double click on them to open them.

The single license is good for one user using it on as many computers as they like, or multiple users using it on the same computer. You need as many licenses as the min(computers, users).

If you use separate logins on a computer, you'll get separate databases.

We have one Mac. We are reluctant to go in the direction of user accounts, as we freely share music on iTunes, iCal calendar items, and photos in iPhoto, and my quick look on forums seems to suggest that all of these things are a bit complicated to configure sharing with different accounts.

To clarify, for 2 users to use different OF databases on one computer, I should buy a Family Pack, and this will work just fine? Including with each of our iPhones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderfan View Post
To clarify, for 2 users to use different OF databases on one computer, I should buy a Family Pack, and this will work just fine?
No. For two users on one computer, you need one license.

OF is designed for one database per log in. leo explained how you can coerce it to use two separate databases. In more detail:
  1. Launch OF. This will create the default database the first time.
  2. Exit OF.
  3. In the Finder, go to ~/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus
  4. Move the file OmniFocus.ofocus from there to a convenient location, such as Documents. You may want to rename it to wonderfanDatabase.ofocus.
  5. Launch OF again. It will recreate the default database.

Now when your wife wants to use OF, she just launches it and uses the main database. When you want to use it, double click on wonderfanDatabase.ofocus. That database will open separately in OF.

This will work, but you will only be able to archive old items from the main database—your wife's in my description. There is no way to archive to different locations. (I suppose you could do something complicated like swapping the archive files in and out of ~/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus, but that seems like a recipe for disaster.

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderfan View Post
Including with each of our iPhones?
If you want iPhone syncing, I think you'll have to go with the multi-account set up. OF syncs only one database for each user account. There's no way to tell it to sync a secondary database on the same user account.

Also, just to be clear, the Mac license doesn't get you an iPhone license. I suspect you realized that.

Curt