The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Inconsistent badge display w/ Projects Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
When projects are assigned a due date, the project's due date is counted in the sidebar badge as a task. This seems inconsistent to me. I end up having projects with 1 task remaining yet the sidebar badge displays 2 tasks because the Project is assigned a due date. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Not only is the task due, but the project itself is due. Another way to look at it is that checking off the task doesn't (necessarily) finish the project. You need to go back and verify that you've reached the intended outcome of the project.

I agree with you type11; I think those badges should be coalesced down to a single item. I understand Tim's thoughts, though: if you have six actions for a project that's due to today, those six actions are, in fact, due today also.

But it bugs me. It makes for an overwhelming sense of doom if you have a lot of actions. Motivating, perhaps, but overwhelming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
if you have six actions for a project that's due to today, those six actions are, in fact, due today also.
My problems is that if you have 6 actions for a project due today, the sidebar badge will read 7 actions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wood View Post
Not only is the task due, but the project itself is due. Another way to look at it is that checking off the task doesn't (necessarily) finish the project. You need to go back and verify that you've reached the intended outcome of the project.
This would make sense if the project automatically changed its status to "Completed" upon completing the last remaining task.

Currently, when you complete all tasks associated with a project, the project remains "Active". This is enough verification for me. I see that the project is still active and I can decide if there are more tasks to enter, or change the status to "Complete".

I think that the current behavior is too murky; blurring the line between actions and projects in a way that is confusing.

I trust the badges to call my attention to things that are due. If I have a project that is due, but no next action identified, then I want a badge on that project. But here's an idea, what if the badge had a zero in it? That more directly conveys the notion that the project is due and lacks a next action. Such projects are perhaps the most dangerous open loops.

Curt

I like the zero idea, because I hate the task-count inflation that happens currently, but it wouldn't work very well if there were multiple projects in the same context in that state: 0 + 0 = 0.

If we had the 'click on a badge to see only the items contributing to it' functionality, that would help