The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

File Browser woes Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've imported all my Carbonfin Outliner outlines into OO. These are mostly outlines from various talks that I give though a few are for papers that are in progress. All in all it amounts to about 40 outlines that I work on from time to time.

It seems that the file browser is sorting files by recent modification rather than by title. I have meticulously named all of these files so it will be easy to retrieve any of them as quickly as cover-flow allows. Unfortunately my naming conventions seem to be moot.

Is there any way to have these documents display alphabetically?

I will send a request in file browser improvements though it will mean basically scrapping cover flow and replacing it with a decent file management system (ala GoodReader). I'm quite surprised your UI expert signed off on cover flow.

I have 45 outlines in OO, and I have to concur that the current file browser does not work effectively with outlines.

Would really like some alternative. Perhaps a popup with a file list?

Quote:
I will send a request in file browser improvements though it will mean basically scrapping cover flow and replacing it with a decent file management system (ala GoodReader).
I'm in favor of a change, but please let it look like anything but GoodReader. GoodReader is a very powerful app, but its UI leaves a lot to be desired. I've submitted a request to look at the file management system in iThoughts HD, which is very nicely done.

I agree that cover flow is a poor choice (or at least, not suitable for everyone - there may be some users who love it). My outlines often look very similar with the name being the main distinguishing feature.

That said, I don't care for GoodReader in this regard. I find it far too busy/cluttered.

I'll be sending a feature request too on this. I think my preference would be for something simple along the lines of QuickOffice.

Indeed, iThoughts is probably a better alternative. I also find QuickOffice good in some respects, not so in others. Honestly though they are ALL better and more effective than cover flow. I agree that a GoodReader is cluttered however it's much more flexible and allows for managing more files than cover flow.

I'm a fan of Penultimate's file system, which allows you to choose between the same style as OO, Pages, etc. or a more grid-like view (http://www.flickr.com/photos/poritsky/5716025558/). I really like this grid view, because even though you won't be able to see as many documents as with a list view, you can still make out the basic design of each document. 6 full docs are visible on one page, with 2 more obscured at the bottom.

That's way better than one document. Plus, you can quickly scroll and organize either by name or modify date. In Penultimate, you have to click a "notebook" twice to open it: once to select it, making available for export/delete, and once to actually open it. This changes the user experience compared to OO's one doc active at a time scheme, but it could be a nice trade off.

Agree 100%

I want to like and use these apps more than I do, but I need some solid management of files, including seamless to my desktop.

I found myself using Carbonfin this morning because I knew the file would be back at my desk when I got there - no extra work involved. This is NOT a good sign.

Mark