The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > Community > Omni Lounge
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus iCloud Capture on iPhone 4 Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi everyone,
I was very excited to see the Siri -> OF via Reminders addition to OF iPhone. I'm disappointed that the switch to turn on iCloud Reminders just doesn't exist on an iPhone 4.

Even without Siri, I would like to be able to add Reminders that are automatically imported into OF; Reminders integration into iCal, and shared Reminders lists would open up a lot of opportunities (perhaps a shared Reminders list with my girlfriend that would import into her OF, and a separate shared list for me, whereby we could add events to each other's OF).

Additionally, the Siri -> OF integration could be a major selling point if I decide to upgrade to a 4S. I'd really like to try out the feature, even if just by typing in Reminders and seeing how well they get imported to OF.

Anyway, because the iPhone 4 and 4S are essentially running the same version of OF, I was wondering if there is a way to enable the iCloud Reminders function on an iPhone 4? How does OF iPhone tell whether it is running on a 4 or 4S? If I were to jailbreak would it be possible? Perhaps some .plist editing or something?

Got it. In the info.plist in OmniFocus (edit: iPhone) app, there's a key named something like "debugSiri" set to "/false". Replace "/false" with "/true" and the iCloud capture option becomes available and works like a charm. I think there are ways to do this without jailbreaking, but I just went ahead. Disclaimer: jailbreaking could brick your device, lose all your data, cause global warming, etc. etc.

Just tested, and I can now add tasks through my iPad (on my shared OmniFocus list in the Reminders app), and they are synced through iCloud and appear on OmniFocus iPhone on next launch. Brilliant!

I imagine that adding my roommate or girlfriend to this shared Reminders list will let them add tasks to my OmniFocus, which really takes it up another notch (the implementation of sharing is one of my only bits of grief with OmniFocus).

Anyway, I hope this info.plist tidbit is helpful. I did have to reset the key in question after today's update, but it took ~5 seconds. And I hope posting this doesn't anger the OmniPowers that be. I'm pretty excited to have found a new way to use OF on my trusty iPhone 4, and I honestly don't see why this shouldn't be made a user-configurable option in the first place. Omni has already done the work to code it into the existing app, why not let it be enjoyed by all? Siri or not, it's nice to have the two apps working together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8henrie View Post
Got it. In the info.plist in OmniFocus (edit: iPhone) app, there's a key named something like "debugSiri" set to "/false". Replace "/false" with "/true" and the iCloud capture option becomes available and works like a charm. I think there are ways to do this without jailbreaking, but I just went ahead. Disclaimer: jailbreaking could brick your device, lose all your data, cause global warming, etc. etc.

Just tested, and I can now add tasks through my iPad (on my shared OmniFocus list in the Reminders app), and they are synced through iCloud and appear on OmniFocus iPhone on next launch. Brilliant!

I imagine that adding my roommate or girlfriend to this shared Reminders list will let them add tasks to my OmniFocus, which really takes it up another notch (the implementation of sharing is one of my only bits of grief with OmniFocus).

Anyway, I hope this info.plist tidbit is helpful. I did have to reset the key in question after today's update, but it took ~5 seconds. And I hope posting this doesn't anger the OmniPowers that be. I'm pretty excited to have found a new way to use OF on my trusty iPhone 4, and I honestly don't see why this shouldn't be made a user-configurable option in the first place. Omni has already done the work to code it into the existing app, why not let it be enjoyed by all? Siri or not, it's nice to have the two apps working together.
Thank You! I went poking around for this when I first got my *cough*siriproxy*cough* working. I was unable to find the switch to turn on the icloud sync in the plist. Great Job!

Quote:
Got it. In the info.plist in OmniFocus (edit: iPhone) app,
you mean on a jailbroken IP4?

thanks

amelchi

iCloud, Siri, OF and iPhone 4S is wonderful. The issue I'm having is that when you create a reminder (using Siri of course), it get picked up in OF and subsequently gets deleted from the Reminder App. This creates a problem for me as I cannot see my reminders on my Mac (ie. in iCal) and cannot see them in my reminders App in all my IOS devices. I would like OF to leave the reminders intact so they still appear in the Reminder App and in iCal.

Glad to hear this has been helpful to some people. Been an enjoyable feature for me to use as well. My only problem is the new "Untitled item" bug that appears to be not at all Omni's fault.

@lonepalm: You can still seem them in OF, though, right? Isn't that the point? I would be upset if they were left in Reminders, because then I'd have to check off all my items twice.

It would be more clutter for you if there was a reminder as well an omnifocus task. That would be two things that you'd have to check off instead of just one.

I'd personally rather keep it in OmniFocus rather than reminders. In GTD terminology, everything has its place. If a task appears twice then that's more work for me to manage.

Quote:

I did find the info.plist and changed the debugsiricapture from false to true but it doesnt make visible iCloud capture on omnifocus settings.. I have iPhone 4 with Siri and jail broken.. Please if you can give more details how to do this..

Thanks

Thanks to n8henrie for figuring this out. I have been successful porting siri to my iphone 4 and would love to get this functionality, but I'm not totally sure how to change the key you're referring to. Would it be possible for you to tell us exactly how you did it? Sorry for the nOOb question... :)

Caveat emptor.

@Benipres: I have no idea. I'm sure Omni has good reasons for making this setting unavailable as a default. Try a reboot and make sure the .plist retained the change (maybe you forgot to save the change). Try clearing out all the backgrounded apps first. Otherwise, I don't know what's going on.

@umeuph: I really don't know how to be more specific. If you've successfully made the mods you listed, I would expect you to have the skills necessary to do a little .plist editing. If you don't know what a .plist is or how to edit one, you probably shouldn't mess with this.

Again, I'm sure Omni left this out for a reason, and I wouldn't want to spite them by posting the how-to on their own forum. They make great products, and I wouldn't want to risk compromising my standing with them.

That said, if they were to post their approval in this thread, I'd be more than happy to do an in-depth walkthrough here.