The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OOP changes OS X's audio settings Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi there!

Whenever I record audio with OOP, the app changes OS X's audio settings (the ones you can change in the Audio/Midi Config application in the Utilities folder) to 8bit Mono in the Audio Input section. While this may work fine with the built-in microphone of my iMac Core Duo, it makes my headset unusable, because it requires a 16bit stereo setting here. OOP changes this setting regardless of the compression settings I choose in its own preferences.

I am afraid that as long as OOP does this it is useless for me and I won't buy.

Is it a bug or is there anything I can do about it?

I am working with the latest beta of OOP. My system software is up-to-date.

Take care,
Christian

Christian-

This doesn't happen on my machine. The settings in OO have no effect of the settings shown in the Audio MIDI setup. I'd be curious to know if anyone else has your problem.

--
Derek M.
Support Ninja
The Omni Group

Hi Derek!

I recorded a little movie (1 MB) to demonstrate the problem:

http://snipurl.com/u1wy-IS8D0P

Very strange indeed.

Take care,
Christian

Christian,
That's a great use of OmniDazzle! :)

I can't recreate this either, though I have a G5 iMac and not a shiny new Intel ;). Do you use any custom settings/options for the 'Compression'?

Also, I see your using a Plantronics Headset in the Audio/Midi. Does this problem happen when you have another device selected?

James B

Last edited by WrongSizeGlass; 2006-07-29 at 03:03 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongSizeGlass
Christian,
That's a great use of OmniDazzle! :)
Actually, it's Mouseposé 2.0. When recording movies, I usually use both, Mouseposé and OmniDazzle. So I can combine Mouseposé's more beautiful spotlight and OD's cutout feature. In this movie, however, I had no use for the cutout, so OD couldn't be seen in action.

Quote:
I can't recreate this either, though I have a G5 iMac and not a shiny new Intel ;). Do you use any custom settings/options for the 'Compression'?

Also, I see your using a Plantronics Headset in the Audio/Midi. Does this problem happen when you have another device selected?

James B
My old iMac G4 shows the same behaviour. So I don't think the problem is related to the Intel CPU.

OOP changes the audio setup for the headset regardless of which input source I select. So, if I choose the internal mic as input source, the headset's settings are changed anyway. The internal mic's settings, however, remain unchanged.

Now, either OOP can't cope with external mic's at all or this problem is related to the Plantronics headset only. Since I own only this one headset I can't verify this.

Take care,
Christian

Hmm I wouldn't be surprised if this was a bug isolated to the Plantronics headset. What's curious to me is why a headset has a stereo mic. What model do you have?

What are the audio settings on the file that actually gets recorded?

If you change the compression settings, does it effect what the settings in the Audio MIDI Setup get changed to?

--
Derek M.
Support Ninja
The Omni Group

Hi there!

Sorry for not responding so long.

I have a Plantronics DSP400 headset.

http://www.plantronics.com/north_ame...032/prod440042

The headset does indeed record in stereo. Of course, both channels are absolutely identical.

Concerning the specs of the file that is actually recorded with OOP, there is something strange: Although the audio settings of OS X are changed to 48000Hz 1 Channel 8 bit, a stereo file with 44,100 Hz is generated.

As far as I could see, changing the compression settings in OOP doesn't influence the way the audio/midi settings are influenced.

Kind regards,
Christian

hmm quite confusing. the DSP-400 is actually listed as have a 16-bit mono 48k mic in the spec sheet I found for it.

We have discovered 2 bugs dealing with recording audio and sampling rate settings. It's possible this issue might be fixed once we get those bugs fixed.

It's also possible the problem could be with the DSP chip. It should be fixable if this is the case, but we'd need to get our hands on such a headset to do some testing.

I'll post here if anything new comes up.

Great!

Thanks for the effort.

Kind regards,
Christian