The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Path to being an OG Ninja Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello.

It's become clear to me that I need to dedicate some effort into becoming a very proficient user of OmniGraffle. There are a multitude of opportunities in my job to apply said skill in visualizing ideas and documenting products. I have used OmniGraffle casually, own a license, and am a huge fan and constant user of OmniOutliner.

As there are probably many OG Ninjas on this forum, I thought I would ask, in the interest of efficient learning what you believe the "Way" to the heart of OmniGraffle is. Are there books I should find and read? Are there classes I should find and take? Is the downloadable manual the best place to start? Is there an OmniGraffle resources for Newbs page somewhere?

I asked this same question on Twitter. (My username is @bump) The responses I have received are:

1) Use OmniGraffle everyday, a pebble is not polished without friction.

2) Someone is writing a book, but I cannot remember who.

3) Lurk on the forums.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
3) Lurk on the forums.
Superior to lurking on the forums is contributing on the forums. Try to figure how to answer the questions that come up, and post those answers. If you can't explain something to someone else, chances are you don't understand it all that well yourself. It's worth going back in the forums a few years and reading the posts where techniques are discussed. Again, spend some time trying to figure out the answers yourself before checking the answer at the "back of the book".

Also, spend some time looking at the graphics you encounter in your everyday life. Ask yourself how you would do something similar with OmniGraffle's tools. Spend some time trying to do so with appropriately complex examples.