The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Safari 3 Public Beta Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
This is relevant to a few things here. At least here on my Windoze machine at work, IM in gmail does NOT work, but docs and spreadsheets DO! And the speed is unbelievable.

Ah, yes, another nice thing is Apple's own font smoothing, which is much better than the native Windows "cleartype".

I do hope that this foreshadows an OW beta. Is Webkit the s**t now?

Payam

Last edited by philonous; 2007-06-11 at 11:31 AM..

I have both versions installed on my MacBook with XP. The only interesting features thus far are tear-off tabs (eye candy mainly) and a resizable text field.

The latter will challenge OW but I still prefer OW's zoomed text editor since it involves one click instead of dragging to resize the text field (which can also be somewhat problematic on a smaller display or if the text field is near a window border).

Nice to have Safari running on XP, even though I'll rarely use it (if ever).

Wow. I didn't even notice the tear-away tabs. Pretty sweet eye candy. I agree, I have no use for Safari on Windows, either, other than the blazing speed. But, I can't get to my Mac at home for a few hours more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daiyi666@yahoo.com
I have both versions installed on my MacBook with XP. The only interesting features thus far are tear-off tabs (eye candy mainly) and a resizable text field.
Hmm. One of the big things that keeps me using OW is the ability to easily open a tab as a new window (along with being able to rearrange tabs, including dragging tabs from one window to another). I often open a lot of tabs in a single window with NetNewsWire, then read and close some but keep others for later reading or reference. In those cases, it's often worth promoting one tab to be a window on its own, then dragging related tabs to that window.

It would be nice if OW 5.6 had (something like) Safari3's nifty search tool. Safari's upgrade makes it official: OW now has the worst page search capability of all the Mac browsers.

I think OW's search capabilities are unparalleled... I have about 20 shortcuts in my search shortcuts from Amazon to YouTube.

Have a look at the shortcuts movie on the OW page...

http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omniweb/

I think the key issue Safari has going for it is speed. How does OW match up internally?

Yes, for me also, the search shortcuts are irreplaceable.

As for speed, my OW 5.5.4 is still faster than Safari 3 Beta on my crusty old PB.

P

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyW
I think OW's search capabilities are unparalleled... I have about 20 shortcuts in my search shortcuts from Amazon to YouTube.
Sorry, I was being vague. I meant FIND (as in find-while-you-type on a given page), not search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcoreUFO
Sorry, I was being vague. I meant FIND (as in find-while-you-type on a given page), not search.
I'm going to place a vote (if we're voting, here) for keeping the old way. I hate the way FF and now Safari make you move the mouse and click a button to remove to search field from the window. I prefer OW's current way of doing it -- a simple Apple-W will get rid of it.

That said, the pop-animation in Safari is cool. Makes it easier to find things on dense pages. I'd like to see that part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyDee
I'm going to place a vote (if we're voting, here) for keeping the old way. I hate the way FF and now Safari make you move the mouse and click a button to remove to search field from the window. I prefer OW's current way of doing it -- a simple Apple-W will get rid of it.

That said, the pop-animation in Safari is cool. Makes it easier to find things on dense pages. I'd like to see that part.
I really like the new Safari find. In regards to closing it, you shouldn't have to move your mouse, hitting ESC in either FF or Safari should get rid of the search bar.