The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sync, Notification,... Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello,

I'am using Things and want to switch to OF. I have read a lot, but some questions are open:

When I sync with MobileMe: Will always the whole data file transfer to or from the iPhone or iPad when I start OF or make a new entry? How high is the volume of data transfer to or from MobileMe?

I think there is no push notification with the iPad or Desktop version?! Is push possible with iPhone 4?

What's the meaning of Data Safe? I think it's no encrypt of the data file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas67 View Post
Hello,
When I sync with MobileMe: Will always the whole data file transfer to or from the iPhone or iPad when I start OF or make a new entry? How high is the volume of data transfer to or from MobileMe?
The initial sync has to transfer all the data. After that only the necessary information to transfer changes is sent. That is, information about any edits you've made, plus any automatic changes like repeating events. I find sync to be very fast, but I think it depends on the speed of the Mobile Me service in your area. In the States, Mobile Me seems to be fairly snappy these days, but I've heard that isn't necessarily the case everywhere.
[/QUOTE]

Quote:
I think there is no push notification with the iPad or Desktop version?! Is push possible with iPhone 4?
Notifications are not push-based for OmniFocus. That would require a separate server to send the notifications. Instead, OF uses time-based notifications. Those are done with Growl on the desktop (a free, additional installation) and with iOS 4 notifications on iPhone and iPod Touch. If the rumors of iOS 4 for iPad coming out on Aug. 16 are true, then we'll probably get notifications on the iPad soon as well.

The notification settings for OF iPhone are really limited in the current release, just a hidden preference for turning them on or off. However, Ken at OG has said that improving that is near the top of the list of things to do now that OF iPad has shipped.

Quote:
What's the meaning of Data Safe? I think it's no encrypt of the data file.
Where did you see the phrase Data Safe? Perhaps you mean "Data Protection"?

It is true that the data file is not encrypted on your desktop. On Mobile Me, the data is just protected by whatever mechanisms Mobile Me provides. OF provides no extra protection. On your iOS devices, again, the data is just protected by whatever mechanisms the device provides. As far as I know, OF provides no extra protection.

Hope that helps!

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas67 View Post
As Curt mentioned, the very first sync requires transferring the entire database to your device. Most of the time, it only transfers one or more small files (a few hundred bytes each, typically) representing the changes made since the last sync, not the entire database. Somewhat like an incremental backup... Occasionally, the entire database will be rewritten back to the server during the sync process to compact it, and depending on the speed of your network uplink and the overall size of your database this may take more than a few seconds, but the application still functions while this happens.

Thanks for your answers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
Where did you see the phrase Data Safe? Perhaps you mean "Data Protection"?
I found it here, but In think the meaning is, that OF use a good database

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post

The notification settings for OF iPhone are really limited in the current release, just a hidden preference for turning them on or off. However, Ken at OG has said that improving that is near the top of the list of things to do now that OF iPad has shipped.
If you need audible notifications and leave your Mac on all the time you can get push notifications via growl on the Mac pushing a notification to an app such as boxcar or prowl on the iPhone.

This is the simplest solution I have found (mainly because I already had prowl and growl set up for other apps) until OF for iPhone is updated with audible local notifications.