The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OmniFocus for iPad interface feedback Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post

I can't think of anything OF on Mac does that couldn't be done on OF for iPad.

OK, one thing: there's no "quick entry" on iPad....
Clipping would seem like a difficult nut to crack. Acting as the master in a Bonjour syncing setup would be another. Allowing you to use Applescript to extend the app's functionality. I suppose the second one goes away if you were only talking UI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiK View Post
The point I was (still am!) trying to make is that it needs to be handled somewhat differently from the UI perspective and therefore when people are quoting example UI's from desktop apps they need to be aware that those apps are designed for primarily keyboard/mouse interface rather than a (fat-fingers) touch screen.
Agreed. Certainly not a literal translation from Mac to iPad.

Many good interaction modes already exist on iPad to replace what would be natural on Mac, and that don't require a yet another mode. For example, the Mail app on iPad demonstrates how to do drill-down navigation on a sidebar, so disclosure triangles become less necessary.

Same thing with popovers, which provide in-line content disclosure without taking up a lot of (permanent) space.

Of the basic interactions and UI that OF for Mac provides, the iPad version should be able to provide all of that, and more, with a well-considered application, and without trying to either mimic the Mac version, or take a page from Things, et. al.

I would have preferred to see a more conservative approach on OF for iPad, one that was closer in style to OF for Mac, and Mail for iPad (perhaps with a few nice touches of UI elegance and thoughtfulness).

Simply port the existing iPhone interface to the iPad. There is nothing wrong with OmniFocus for the iPhone except the distortion that occurs when you hit the 2x button on the iPad.

One (anxious) man's opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
For example, the Mail app on iPad demonstrates how to do drill-down navigation on a sidebar, so disclosure triangles become less necessary.
While the Mail interface is fine for navigating a hierarchy and isn't sufficient for either manipulating the structure of the hierarchy or for selecting multiple parts of the hierarchy to view at once. Both of those are necessary for a fully functional implementation of OF on the iPad.

I've yet to see a decent, full-featured outliner on the iPad. As they did with OmniGraffle for iPad, I think Omni is exploring brand new design space here.

Curt

I can live with the flow in the video but one thing that is key is to use the screen realestate. We have an Ipad so we should be able to have space to hold ..

Notes.
Next Review Dates
Documents.

If the fonts are too large, the value of the Ipad decreases as we dont get to use use for what we need.

One thing that may not be obvious when watching the video is that the iPad screen has more pixels per inch than most desktop screens, so everything you see in that video will actually be smaller. On an actual iPad, the height of each row is currently about half the width of my thumb. (And that's about as small as we want to get, since we often tap items with our thumbs while holding onto the iPad by its sides.)

By the way, the reason we chose to represent collapsed rows using arrows pointing upwards rather than pointing to the right is that arrows pointing to the right generally indicate "take me to a detail screen".

I think many of you will be happy to hear that current builds use some of those right-pointing arrows in the sidebar to access your project and context lists in the sidebar. Tapping on a sidebar project or context will focus on that item in the main view, much like the Mac app does. (In the build from the sneak peek video you could also focus on specific projects and contexts, but you had to get there by pressing on an item and selecting "Focus" from its pop up menu.)

Any chance of another quick peek then Ken?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiK View Post
Any chance of another quick peek then Ken?
yes a new video would be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
While the Mail interface is fine for navigating a hierarchy and isn't sufficient for either manipulating the structure of the hierarchy or for selecting multiple parts of the hierarchy to view at once. Both of those are necessary for a fully functional implementation of OF on the iPad
Mail on iPad lets you select multiple items and act on them by tapping Edit. In Mail, those actions are Delete and Move. OF for iPad could have similar actions plus a few more.

Alternatively, Keynote for iPad introduces tap-and-hold to select items; you tap-and-hold one item, then tap other items to select them. A hierarchy makes this harder to implement perfectly, but it's doable I believe (Keynote handles this by using indentation to indicate hierarchy, and making each slide progressively smaller, and then limiting the number of levels you can have (four).