The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Gmail and attachments (specifically music files and pdfs) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
OK, I've tested in comparison with Webkit release r13302, but this problem has been around since Gmail started working with 5.5:

When a music file is attached to an email that is viewed in Gmail, it shows up at the bottom of the message along with a "Download" link next to each file.

When the file is clicked upon in Safari or the latest Webkit, a new window opens (which is annoying but easily closed). The downloads window then appears and the file is download. This is what I'd like to happen (well I'd also like the popped-up window to auto-close if the link it was opened for was only a download, but lets work on that afterwards ;-D).

The same thing occurs when I select download for an attached PDF file as well under both Safari and r13302.

Now the problem under OmniWeb 5.5sp5 (and all previous versions that supported Gmail):

When the download link is clicked for a music file, the new window opens up, like in Safari, but instead of being downloaded, the file loads up as a quicktime player file and begins playing. If I wait until it finishes loading I can save (but the default name is index.html), however this is very annoying.

For PDFs the behavior is even wierder still. An new window opens up, and then I get a dialog asking me (well as I'm typing this I'm getting a new behavior); ok what was happening was I was getting a file system browser dialog asking me to locate a copy of Adobe Acrobat or Acrobat Reader. I recently located such a copy in the browser but hit cancel, and now it just loads a blank page, but the spinning activity icon seems to indicate the PDF is being downloaded, but never saved or displayed.

In either case, these issues make OW currently unusable with GMail attachments. I'll be happy to provide more details as needed.

David

What happens if you identify as Safari 2.0.3 to Google?

You can work around both issues by choosing Download Link to <your downloads folder> from the contextual menu for a link.

When I identified as the latest Safari, my label links wouldn't even work so I couldn't get to any of my saved files. I'll check on this again tonight.

If I identified as the latest Window Firefox, the same behavior happens (though I also get the in window GoogleChat, funny how they are limiting that). I can do right-click -> download to desktop... but the interesting thing there is in the downloads window the file is named 'index.html' even though it ends up with the right file name on the desktop.

David

The PDF issue is a known issue, not just with gmail. I've seen reports of this on the mailing list back in early March.