The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

(NSCocoaErrorDomain error 257.) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I can not open my OmniFocus.

Everytime I try to open program, I get the same message.

Operation could not be completed.
(NSCocoaErrorDomain error 257.)

There is nothing in
<folder>/Library/Applcation Support/OmniFocus

I tried to delete the program and reinstall.

The software downloads without a hitch.
Drag icon into apps and it replaces the old OmniF
I double click to open app in apps folder.
My OmniF icon bounces in dock when I go to open it.
I get that message pop up on the screen, I click OK, the message continues to pop up until I am finally quick enough to quit OmniF before the message reappears.

Please help!!!
Kim

Last edited by kimomni; 2007-11-16 at 12:34 PM.. Reason: email notification

Have you contacted our support ninjas about this? Please send an email to omnifocus@omnigroup.com and they'll help you track this down and get working again.

Also, fire up /Applications/Utilities/Console.app and check for any extra log messages. This may help us to diagnose and fix it more quickly. Thanks!

This is what the Console says:

11/17/07 1:25:59 PM OmniFocus[347] Presenting modal error: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=257 UserInfo=0xdb02650 "Operation could not be completed. (NSCocoaErrorDomain error 257.)" {
NSUnderlyingException = Error validating url for store;
}

Thank YOU!
I didn't know about the console!
I reported this to the Ninjas but they seem to be pretty busy, so I was hoping someone here could help me.
I'd love to get this app working.

Thanks!
Kim

257 is Apple's code for NSFileReadNoPermissionError. This error is coming from somewhere in Apple's code, but I'm not sure where.

The most likely candidates are:

- ~/Library/Caches/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus
- ~/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus

Could you check the permissions of these folders and their contents using Finder's Get Info. If you can determine which one is the problem I can add better error handling for the next time someone runs into this.

In the case of the Caches directory, you can simply blow it away (once you've checked the permissions) and it will get recreated the next time you run OmniFocus. The App support directory has your actual data in it, so you'll want to fix the permissions there if needed.

The most likely candidate really is the 'OmniFocusDatabase' inside the caches directory (just by the 'store' language used in the error), so hopefully that'll prove to be the case.