The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

oregon community credit union and omniweb/safari Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
This was just re implemented at their banking site. Anyone at Omni care to comment? Oh woe is me with my antiquated javascript + ASCII implementation...:confused:

Doug
----------

Q: How did you solve the ongoing issues for Mac/Safari users?

A: Two kinds of code are used throughout the eServices industry: ASCII code and Unicode. Our old Internet Banking site used ASCII code, which consists of the standard 256 characters that have existed since computers were first invented. Because the code is simple, it sends the actual character (abcd123, etc…) when communicating between the end user and the website.

Additionally, ASCII code is usually language-specific and doesn’t help much in the way of translating information across the worldwide web. For example, you may send a document to Russia and your recipient will find that all of your punctuation has been replaced by letters of the Russian alphabet.

Up until recently, our new Internet Banking site used the second type of code known as Unicode. Unicode is more complex than ASCII code because it assigns a unique identifier to many different characters in many different languages (about 100,000 total identifiers). With the increase in worldwide information exchange and the need to overcome language barriers, Unicode has become the accepted standard.

After we launched the new site and our Mac users began experiencing problems when using the Safari browser, we worked around the clock to identify the issue. Eventually we learned that the newest version of Safari does not support Unicode when used in conjunction with JavaScript, a standard Internet programming language that we’ve always used.

To resolve the issues for our Mac users, we made the decision to revert back to ASCII code. Although we would prefer to use Unicode on our site because it supports more languages and special characters, meeting the needs of our Mac users is very important to us. We’re happy that we were finally able to discover a way to provide the level of service that our Mac users deserve.

This seems quite far fetched to me, as the whole Mac OS X uses Unicode, or utf8, to be specific. If they're not talking about Classic MacOS, this is just plain rubbish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zottel
This seems quite far fetched to me, as the whole Mac OS X uses Unicode, or utf8, to be specific. If they're not talking about Classic MacOS, this is just plain rubbish.
That was my initial reaction too... wha???

Doug

Why don't you write an email to them to tell them not to spread nonsense about Mac OS X?

Edit: And, in case you're unsure: Yes, utf8 is the international standard encoding for Unicode. (To be precise: There are other standards like utf16, too, but these are not widely used, at least not in the western hemisphere.)

Last edited by zottel; 2006-12-08 at 01:57 PM..