The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Comprehensive AdBlock list (from EasyList) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I just modified EasyList's ad blocking list for AdBlock Plus so that it works with OmniWeb's regex. I posted it on my website along with instructions on using it. (by manually editing OmniWeb's preferences file)

I hope it's useful for the folks here.

http://inik.net/omniweb-5-ad-blocking-lists

OW's ad blocking is not very good. I'm not sure what the point of blocking ads is if you leave a large gap the size of the ad itself in its place. You might as well look at the ad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcoreUFO View Post
OW's ad blocking is not very good. I'm not sure what the point of blocking ads is if you leave a large gap the size of the ad itself in its place. You might as well look at the ad!
Ads can be very busy and a distraction. I'd rather have white space over obtrusive, obnoxious ads any day.

Good morning,
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcoreUFO View Post
This has been a topic of discussion in the forums for quite some time. OmniGroup figures it’s better to just blank out ads without changing the site structure as intended by the web dev. Also, with ads just disappearing, you never know whether there was some image that, per chance, had an usual ad format and isn’t visible because you enabled “block known ad sizes”. Happened a lot to me in forums; without OW showing the images’ real estate, I would have wondered why so many people didn’t have avatars and sigs any more …

I like OW’s behaviour better than Firefox / AdBlock Plus’. But that’s probably down to taste, too. A user-configurable option might be the best solution.

Cheers,
-Sascha

Great work! Thanks a lot :)