The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus syncing with gMail task list Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've been mulling a while on writing a "web services"-type library to add items to the OF inbox. I have WebDAV syncing enabled, and I'd like to use the e-mail-to-inbox feature of OmniFocus. I'm totally laptop-based, however, and don't have a spare Mac to sit around and process OF e-mails. The ability to simply forward an e-mail and have my mail server pop a task+note into the server-side OF inbox would simplify a lot of what I do day-to-day.

Of course, we could also just figure out a way to get from iPhone mail directly to the OF iPhone inbox...

Somewhere I've read that you should plan in OF and live in iCal... but I really don't like ical or mail and I think google apps are a better experience. Imap in Mail is boring, slow and behaves in strange ways. I use two computers and most of my life has migrated to google. We don't need applications complicated with features we never use, but I NEED ubiquitous computing.

The exceptions are Devonthink, Nisus Pro, Final Cut and... all omni app! They are a joy to use and really useful.

I've used Ominifocus since it was Kinkless. My problem now is to integrate it with gmail in a easy way. What is happening is that I use less and less OF.

I use OF to organize my life, but I cannot lose time copying and pasting things from email do OF and vice versa and email has become the biggest source of to dos...

So, I want to plan in OF and live in gmail and google calendar!

The way I see it, we could use google Tasks as the list of tasks at hand that need action and also as a way to sync emails with OF.

and OF would be used for thinking, organizing and iPhone.

best,

Roberto

Hi Roberto,

Did you already try Mailplane (http://www.mailplaneapp.com)? It has an OmniFocus "Clippings" plugin (http://mailplaneapp.com/download/omnifocus_plugin).

- Lars

I would love to see this, but perhaps there's a better way to scratch this particular itch? This reply is half feature request, half question.

Basically, I have a bunch of clients, none of whom have OF, but all of whom are on various platforms, etc. The common thread is that I put them all on Google Apps as part of their setup.

I've always needed a way to publish my task lists for them for review. If there was a way to push a OF context or task group to a particular Google Tasks account, this would be solved. Currently, I'm printing a PDF which works in a pinch.

On an importance scale of 1 to 10, 10 being "solve world hunger" and 1 being "write an app just for me, pls", I'd put this at about a .5. This would be gravy on top of an already great app.

Thanks,
Steve

I have a small ruby script that takes any stared mail in gmail and puts it in the omnifocus inbox (the subject as the task name and the body goes in the note with a link to gmail).

That way I just star and archive on my android phone and when I run the script it gets into my inbox and gets un-starred.

If someone wants it I can package it as a mac app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsunrise View Post
I have a small ruby script that takes any stared mail in gmail and puts it in the omnifocus inbox (the subject as the task name and the body goes in the note with a link to gmail).

That way I just star and archive on my android phone and when I run the script it gets into my inbox and gets un-starred.

I would be interested in hearing more about how this works. Where does the ruby script run? I assume on the Mac w/ OF so it needs to be left running all the time. (Or does the script only run manually when you get back to your Mac?)

Where can the gmail mail message star be applied from? I assume any web browser - so could I star tasks in GMail on my iphone? (Like you do on Android phone) My Company has taken to blocking GMail access - so this is currently my only option.

Last edited by techsavvyguru; 2009-09-13 at 07:32 AM.. Reason: missed part about Android phone

I would also like to request for this feature in omnifocus to allow to sync with normal google tasks and google apps tasks.

It would be a great feature!

I came across this iphone app called gee task pro.

http://www.geetasks.com/

It allows the app to be synced to gmail/google apps task.

if in omnifocus mac/iphone we create a action it can be synced to gmail/google apps task vice-versa. It would be make omnifocus the ultimate app!!

Please add this feature!!

Looking forward to it.

Another PC and Mac User (sometimes even from the same machine) in need of a way to use Omnifocus from a PC, whether an online system or a desktop App.

The online option makes more sense from Omni's perspective i would guess, but it's an absolute priority for me, if i'm going to use Omnifocus properly.

I'm happy to pay for something that works, but it has to work in all my contexts. To me 21st century thinking is cross platform anyway. I'm never going to be able to be a pure Mac user. I travel too much and work in too many different contexts - if you use Excel to any degree, you have to have a PC version. If you work in a big company, you're likely to be provided with a PC anyway.

I'm a non-zealot on platforms - Mac is great (by and large), Windows 7 is pretty damn good. Omnifocus seems the best version of a productivity management system i've come across. To be a committed user, i need it accessible on whatever platform i'm using. That functionality will breed my loyalty and like most of us, i guess, i'm willing to pay up for that.

So, please, Omnigroup sort this out. I've been looking at Omnifocus since 2008, but still can't bring myself to properly commit, because i don't see the commitment to my user-type ( the multi-platform user ) yet.

Thanks for listening :-)

PLUS

Great tips above as well - spoonlink will be investigated further.

Basecamp (which i also use) seem to be getting close to providing more and more task management stuff. Still a way to go from them as well, but getting closer too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsunrise View Post

That sounds really great! I'll like to see that. Anyway to have it labeled based? I'd want to try it out eitherway.

I use Windows, iPad, and iPhone. The web sync addition a few months back was HUGE, but I'm still missing function on my desktop. I would love to see the tasks sync with Gmail. Even one-way sync to Google Tasks (OF to GT) would be great.