The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Basecamp API & OmniFocus via AppleScript? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I presume you can share selected tasks with Basecamp and keep others private and not synced to Basecamp? Thanks!

Hi Casper TFG,

Yes you're completely right. Spootnik doesn't do a magic merge.
You choose Basecamp projects inside Spootnik's settings which will initially be copied towards OmniFocus (Basecamp Project = OmniFocus folder). All changes inside those newly created folders will be synchronized back to Basecamp. Spootnik won't touch anything outside those folders. (See http://www.spootnik.net/faq.html#how_spootnik_work)

- Lars

Hi BwanaZulia,

Thanks for your nice comment! I just released the possibility to set up an auto-recharge (http://twitter.com/steiger/status/2929652757). It's still 12x$3 a year but you can now pay $3 each month without having to fill in your credit card details each time.

- Lars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwanaZulia View Post
I finally started using Spootnik and it is GREAT! Not only does it work like a charm with multiple people/contexts/projects but once you get it set up, it is very simple.

You can build new To-Do lists (Projects) inside of OmniFocus, and they populate right inside of BaseCamp, with the people you assigned to. Pretty damn cool interaction.

I would suggest offering a year subscription or something to keep the $3 a month down to like $30 for a year.

BZ
and they populate right inside of BaseCamp, with the people you assigned to

I try to add contexts in omnifocus... but when it shows up in basecamp... it is always assigned to me. How are you getting this to work?

Jon

Hi Jon,

You'll have to assign that person to a todo inside Basecamp first and let Spootnik create a Context inside OmniFocus for you. Afterwards you're free to assign that newly created Context to tasks inside OmniFocus.

- Lars

Hello lars.steiger,

does the service you provide allow a continue syncing with for example MobileMe and your service at the same time??

Couldnt find any description of that on your site. It seems like i have to use on or the other, but i would like to keep my sync on MobileMe for all the macs and iphones is use, but i need a project sync with basecamp.

Hi filontheroad,

Spootnik provides a WebDAV interface towards OmniFocus' clients like MobileMe does. The synchronization between Basecamp and that remote OmniFocus is basically just an add-on and acts like another OmniFocus client.

Thus, you will be able to connect all your devices to Spootnik and don't need MobileMe for OmniFocus anymore. Spootnik includes that WebDAV service because of stability, simplicity and performance reasons.

- Lars

Hi Lars,

i'm considering giving Spootnik a try, but i'm wondering whether due dates of Basecamp to-do's are being reflected in OmniFocus as well?

Tibor

Hi Tibor,

Yes, Spootnik synchronizes due dates between OmniFocus and Basecamp. See http://twitter.com/steiger/status/5834248802 ...

- Lars

Hi Lars,

You will have also received this via email, in reply to your follow-up email.

I have nearly completed my first month trailing your Spootnik service.

I must say it works wonderfully and is an excellent concept for providing a sync service and a web interface to Omnifocus. Unfortunately, however, I don't believe BaseCamp is the best option to use as an interface.

Personally, I was looking for a web interface that allowed me to not only view, but also make minor changes (rescheduling) to my OF data - and have them synced back to OF. BC fails in this aspect, due to its very simplistic idea and design - all tasks are assumed to be for a day, not a time of day, and as such the due time is put as 00:00 (As I also utilise OFs Due Soon sync, I dont like getting calendar alarms at 23:45 at night)

The net result for me is that, whilst away from my Mac, I am spending as much time in OF for iPhone as I do in BC.

Cost wise, your service is excellent value for money - perfect price points and enough options to satisfy the majority of people. If only the cost of BC was matched as nicely.

I am loath to pay BCs relatively high costs, for what is a readonly view on my tasks.

It is for this reason I ask (and otherwise urge you to think about), are you looking at integrating into any other Project/Task Management systems in the near future?

Regards

Mark