The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Look up in dictionary not working Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi, I just upgraded to Snow Leopard and the shortcut to Look up in dictionary is not working.
I am using Omniweb 5.10.1
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleon View Post
Hi, I just upgraded to Snow Leopard and the shortcut to Look up in dictionary is not working.
I am using Omniweb 5.10.1
Thanks
I'm sure you're referring to the ctrl-cmd-d shortcut.. I had the same problem. The shortcut is now (i.e. since Snow Leopard or since some sneaky peek build, I don't know) set to a different command, namely immediate "Add to Bookmarks" (without the ellipsis). Normally, "Add to Bookmarks..." is set to cmd-d, and the ctrl key modifies it to do it without offering options.
The only fix I could come up with is to set a different shortcut for "Add to Bookmarks" and thus overriding the standard one so that the system-wide shortcut for the dictionary definitions could apply again.

System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts > Application Shortcuts > + > Application: OmniWeb, Menu Title: Add to Bookmarks, Keyboard Shortcut: e.g. ctrl-alt-cmd-d.

Now the dictionary shortcut should work again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleon View Post
What the hell is this?
It's called spam. ;)

I just ran across this today. Hopefully the Omni folks can change the Add Bookmark function back to the way it was. I use the dictionary far more than I use the dialog-less Add Bookmark feature.

These shortcuts have always conflicted. In earlier OS's the dictionary shortcut has taken precedence over our shortcut. Snow Leopard is giving the right behavior in that the application's shortcut takes precedence however it's not the shortcut people are most likely going to want to use -- so perhaps we should change this shortcut in OmniWeb.

Thanks to vinceleers for explaining the solution! Now I can enjoy easy lookups again :-)

And thanks to Troy for explaning the precedence situation.

I just updated to SL a few days ago and also noticed the look-up in dictionary issue.

However, I am not referring to the keyboard shortcut. I'm referring to the contextual menu entry when a word is selected in the rendered zone.

It appears to work in the URL field and in this Quick Reply form box but it does not function on any text in the rendered web page.

The only options I get in the rendered area are Copy, Start Speaking, the Page sub-menu and Inspect Element.

Maybe it's just me?

It's not just you, this is an existing separate issue that OmniWeb has had in Leopard and Tiger as well.