The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus sync to the "cloud"? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
This is a general question that I hope someone from the OmniFocus development team can help answer.

I own both OmniFocus for Mac and iPhone. I think the interface is excellent for a GTD follower like myself. However, in the real world, many of us must use the Windows/Microsoft Outlook environment at the workplace.

I used to have a solution to this problem: Using Toodledo as my task "cloud", I was able to sync from both Outlook (with the Chromatic Dragon sync) and OmniFocus (using the now-discontinued OFTD AppleScript plug-in). This allowed me to use Outlook at work, OmniFocus on my Mac/iPhone, and Toodledo on any other computer with internet access -- and they all would keep each other updated. Unfortunately with the latest OmniFocus software update, the OFTD script no longer works so my sync chain is broken.

My question is simple: Does the OmniFocus dev team have any existing tools (or near-future plans to develop them) that will allow OmniFocus to "play nice" with the rest of the world (i.e., non-Apple apps like Toodledo, Outlook, etc)?

The AppleScript API and WebDAV support are great features that would make this possible, but it takes some development and maintenance effort that most of us don't have time for. I understand that OmniFocus is pro-Mac but in today's network-centric world, it's much better practice to be interoperable with other apps instead of a "stovepipe". I'd gladly pay for an OmniFocus extension that could do this, especially if it were maintained with software updates!

If anyone has suggestions, I'd be grateful to hear them. Thanks.

Just adding my support for the above. Toodledoo seems like a good match up-
But really, anything that allows OF to play would be good.

with me being seperated from my mac and my ipod touch needing to be recovered via iTunes, I've been thinking about this more then ever.
I'm not a fan of Toodle. The gui is just terrible.
I personally would love something like 1Password's IpasswordAnywhere. I love how it's same interface, anywhere/etc. Which reminds me of the od Web App Project... link 1 links 2 I would love to sync client on windows/linux but that might be hoping to much.
has anyone tried/uses any of these web app project anyway?

Hi keithw7799,

It's not Toodledo, but if you like, you can try my Basecamp to OmniFocus (and vice versa) synchronization service called Spootnik (http://www.spootnik.net).

- Lars

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'll check out the Basecamp sync to see what it can do. I also agree that Toodledo doesn't have the prettiest GUI, but it works and it has well-published API that makes syncing adapters easy to develop. In my opinion, any software application that wants to see long-term success in today's "web 2.0" world MUST be fully interoperable and should either maintain APIs or make them easy to develop.

What would be really cool is if someone started an open standards group to define the most common metadata associated with personal task management (i.e., contexts, project categories, due dates, sub-tasks, etc). If it were well-planned and marketed properly, all the task software apps (like Omnifocus, Toodledo, Things, RTM, Outlook, etc) might be compelled to write an API to interoperate with such a standard.

There has been some success with this regarding calendars: iCalendar/CalDAV and RFC 5545. Our reasonable (though not yet perfected) ability to sync Google, Yahoo, iCal, and Outlook calendars is due to the work done here; when will someone step up to the plate and do the same with tasks/to-do's? Probable answer: when someone sees a good business opportunity for it!

FWIW, I used Spootnik for a while to sync with Basecamp and it performed flawlessly for sharing a project with another OmniFocus user (as well as updating online).