The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Yay! Repeating actions! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm with the keepers, but I'm also with those who use iCal (which I happen to like well enough) for repeating tasks. What interests me about the implementation in OF is the possibility of being able to repeat (or have templates for) an entire project with a set of actions. This would come in handy, for instance, for a regular publication with a large set of known actions and relatively slight organisational differences from issue to issue.

I've used my own kludged methods for doing exactly this sort of thing, but OF (especially with the proposed links to OmniPlan) holds out a lot of promise in this area.

Coconino, the template idea was the first thing that popped into my head to test when I downloaded the SmileyFaceVersion! This ability, for some reason, has completely eluded even the best GTD programs to date. I too am quite excited at the potentials. I do a lot of things by procedure. Even though the content created with the procedure differs every time, the procedure is the same. To be able to instantly have a skeleton project is fantastic.

The best idea in this thread, to my mind, is allowing the user to mark some repeating tasks to 'dissolve after completion'.

Greetings,
I feel rather silly here, but I cannot seem to puzzle out how to set up a task to recur in OF. I've checked through the forums but simply not run across the "set this to that" information.
If you don't mind would you let me know how OF does this?
Thank you.
Ad Astra Per Aspera,
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by yngtor View Post
I feel rather silly here, but I cannot seem to puzzle out how to set up a task to recur in OF. I've checked through the forums but simply not run across the "set this to that" information.
If you don't mind would you let me know how OF does this?
Repeats are set in the Repeat inspector. Just select the project, action group, or action in OF. Then edit the repeat info in the repeat inspector. If it isn't visible choose Inspectors --> Repeat from the menu bar.

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
Repeats are set in the Repeat inspector. Just select the project, action group, or action in OF. Then edit the repeat info in the repeat inspector. If it isn't visible choose Inspectors --> Repeat from the menu bar.
Ok, I did this (at least I think I did). I created a small project today that needs to be done 3 times each month. The I checked off repeat in the project inspector, but not in the individual actions. Then I performed the actions and checked them off.

I still have the original project with the original dates, with all the actions checked. Where's the new project? Will it not show up until the new start date?

I also tried clicking the Clean Up button, but that didn't do anything.

Being very new to this, I'm probably missing something obvious. :)

===========================================

OK, never mind. I read another old post and realized that I hadn't marked the project "Completed".

Last edited by Betsy; 2007-08-16 at 05:02 PM.. Reason: Figured it out

right-click the project and change its status to "completed". Then you'll get a new project with a copy of all the actions but not checked off yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
right-click the project and change its status to "completed". Then you'll get a new project with a copy of all the actions but not checked off yet.
Is there any way to do that from the context view?

When you check off the last action of an action group, you have to know it's the final action and then switch views and mark the action group complete. That just doesn't feel the right.

I believe that either the action group name should then appear in the context view, for you to check off, or it should become complete when the last action in the group is complete. Otherwise, the whole repeating nature of the action group comes down to whether you remember to change views and mark that action group complete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiramNetherlands View Post
The best idea in this thread, to my mind, is allowing the user to mark some repeating tasks to 'dissolve after completion'.
I know that peoples' needs are different, but isn't the ease of searching for the routine completed tasks and deleting them in a batch less costly than setting that flag for every routine action?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeles View Post
Is there any way to do that from the context view?

When you check off the last action of an action group, you have to know it's the final action and then switch views and mark the action group complete. That just doesn't feel the right.

I believe that either the action group name should then appear in the context view, for you to check off, or it should become complete when the last action in the group is complete. Otherwise, the whole repeating nature of the action group comes down to whether you remember to change views and mark that action group complete.
This subject has been discussed extensively on the forums with little consensus. I've argued for having the action group name appear in the context view. I'm strongly opposed to auto-completing the parent, because that presumes that I've identified every next action in the group. Often times I only identify the next couple of actions, not every one. So auto-complete would create holes in the system for anyone without perfect planning.

The current behavior is that an action group with all children completed does not block subsequent tasks. This is a compromise that doesn't jibe with my intuition, but works OK. I wrote a script, available here, that I run in my daily review to identify action groups and projects that are missing next actions.

Curt