The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Confused and Frustrated Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Why oh why can't I have an action with either:
a.) an assigned project but no context
or
b.) an assigned context but no project

to show up in its proper place???

I have actions with no context, but are part of a project called someday/maybe. They show up fine under 'No Context' in the context mode, but they are no where to be found in the plan mode; they are not in the someday/maybe project.

Also, when I create actions manually in the someday/maybe project in plan mode that have no context, they stay in the project until I leave and when I come back they are gone! Banished back to the inbox?!

It seems that things work fine if I specify both a project and a context to an action. However, if I leave out either one, all hell breaks loose and where the action shows is really, really counter-intuitive.

Am I doing something wrong or is this some feature of the software I'm not grokking?

I have a few things for which the project and the context are the same. As a self-employed person, "accounting" is a good example. It is a project -- post billable time, send out invoices, etc. It is also a context -- when I have my Quicken program open.

So I just did it the easy way. I have a project called accounting and a context called accounting, and so far the GTD police have not issued a citation. Perhaps a similar approach would help you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haig View Post
I have actions with no context, but are part of a project called someday/maybe. They show up fine under 'No Context' in the context mode, but they are no where to be found in the plan mode; they are not in the someday/maybe project.
It sounds like your project is set to parallel and that you have your view bar set to show only available actions. Since the action has no context, it is not considered to be available by OmniFocus.

Try setting you view bar to show remaining actions in planning mode (third menu from the right).

Quote:
Originally Posted by haig View Post
Also, when I create actions manually in the someday/maybe project in plan mode that have no context, they stay in the project until I leave and when I come back they are gone! Banished back to the inbox?!
AFAIK, nothing ever gets sent back to the inbox in OmniFocus. I suspect you're running into the same configuration issue I mentioned above. You have your view bar set to show available actions. You create a new action with no context (OmniFocus considers it not available). When you leave the view, OmniFocus does its auto-cleanup and the action gets hidden according to your view settings (show only available actions).

Again, the solution is to simply set the view bar to show remaining actions in planning mode.

-Dennis