The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

evernote - the omni outliner iphone replacement? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
So like many others, I've been struggling to find a good iphone/mac outliner combination, so I can switch over from Windows. Tons of my friends are switching, and all are reporting very good experiences. But I won't go until I have a rock solid outliner solution for both the computer and cellphone.

Lifebalance is going to make one, but I had problems with the notes sizes on their windows version. I found I was syncing and getting data truncated. I currently use natara bonsai for the palm and I love it - but they have no mac nor an iphone version.

A mac friend pointed me towards a potential solution today - to use evernote. Its not an outliner, so this will be a different model slightly.. its basically a rather organized database for textfiles, but you can tag them and also search by keywords. It also allows for saving searches.

I notice in my outliner that it does build up cruft and need to be reorganized, which I've not done for about a year.. So it might just be that evernote is a better solution for storing all your textfiles and using its searching capabilities.

I also noticed evernote is one of the top iphone productivity apps (#3):

http://www.apple.com/iphone/appstore/

If I don't come back here, you'll know why, lol. :-)

Here's evernote: http://www.evernote.com/about/what_is_en/

They have PC and mac versions you can try out

I use Evernote as a capture device; I sort out the OF bit later

I'm not sure why or how Evernote could be a "replacement" for OO — they're totally different programs with totally different purposes. You seem to be saying "I have to have an outliner so I'm using this thing that's not an outliner at all."

Ayjay, I'm just trying to solve the problem of storing a lot of data.

Care to suggest a better solution for syncing OO type data between the iphone and the mac desktop?

you might take a look at " text guru " for iPhone in the app store .
it even comes with it's own server to transfer your docs back and forth.
they add more doc types to their gallery every release , not sure what it would do with a OO file .

I'm not affiliated just wanted something to get my notes on both devices as needed .

textguru looks good, except it doesn't appear to support indenting.

I'm tomorrow making the switch from treo/windows Natari Bonsai. It looks like I will try carbonfin initially; they seem to have good iphone support and are building a web-based outliner to interface with it (right now there is no editing on the web based version, but I suspect that will come soon).

Carbonfin makes importing from bonasi easy. Evernote currently seems to not work on the iphone without internet access. Importing also seems like it will be harder for evernote, so I will try carbonfin initially, and see how that works out. The reviews for carbonfin have many former bonsai users making positive comments, so thats a good reference; bonsai is an excellent outliner.

It would be nice if Omni just acquired carbonfin and made it sync directly with omni outliner!!

Also I note this thread is currently #3 for keyword "outliner iphone" in google.

Last edited by adrianbye; 2008-10-09 at 06:41 PM..

yeah text guru doesn't support syncing just file transfer, the only thing close to syncing right now is write room for iphone and it's bonjour sync with safari into a iphone sim on the screen .
Sooner or later apple will realize that people want to sync documents on the iPhone .

After testing carbonfin, it doesn't work for me. I need to store notes and it doesn't have this capability. It is a very limited outliner IMHO.

Evernote is ok, but I'm not too happy with it, its not a real outliner and will take a lot of work to reorganize all my data to fit in it.

Finally I think I've found a solution: Life Balance. Its an outliner I used to use on the PC/treo and it worked pretty well (I switched because of some syncing bugs which have apparently since been resolved). It turns out they have a mac version which is pretty stable and are almost finished making an iphone version:

http://www.llamagraphics.com/drupal/...creen-rotation

I use Omni products on iPad and iPhone and use Evernote for note taking. It's easier than taking a laptop to meetings and I can access my data anywhere. What I'd love is seamless integration from Omni Outliner and Evernote. With a "publish to Evernote" function in Outliner that ensured the text was searchable and editable in Evernote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebles View Post
I use Omni products on iPad and iPhone and use Evernote for note taking. It's easier than taking a laptop to meetings and I can access my data anywhere. What I'd love is seamless integration from Omni Outliner and Evernote. With a "publish to Evernote" function in Outliner that ensured the text was searchable and editable in Evernote.
I want to second this idea: I use both and I would love to be able to export my OO files more easily to Evernote. (and the export to the new MS Word for Mac needs to be looked at)

Also - the TABBED feature someone talked about would be quite awesome in OO. Come on, version 4!