The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Importing pages of PDFs or slides of Powerpoints? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have been experimenting with using OmniOutliner for taking notes during my classes. The problem is that most of my professors base their lectures upon PDFs/Powerpoints which often contain diagrams that aren't easily replicated.

I know I can import/attach a single image/document to OO, but what I'd really prefer is to be able to import a Powerpoint/PDF document with each page/slide in a separate bullet point. Then I could take notes below or in a column adjacent to the corresponding slides.

Is there any way to do this in OO? If not, are there other applications out there that will let you do it? I know on Windows I can use Onenote, but that's 1) part of MS office and 2) not on Macs anyway.

You could: import the PP file into Keynote and save it to iWork'05 format and then import it into OO

Can you copy and paste the diagrams over from Powerpoint?

Bit of a workaround... but for PDFs there's a freeware program called CombinePDFs that will permit you to save individual pages as separate files which you can drag in.

http://www.monkeybreadsoftware.de/Fr...binePDFs.shtml

Yeah, I don't think doing it by hand is a sensible option. I mean, we're talking lecture 2x a week, maybe 30 slides a lecture, and I'm taking 3 classes for which I'd want to put the slides in there.

If I import into Keynote and then Keynote to OO, will it automatically separate and make a bullet point for each slide? Or will it just link/display the document?

I've been kinda surprised (switched to Mac this summer) that there are so many notebook programs out there for OS X but none of them appear to have this feature. Unless I'm missing something?

In Onenote, you can tell the program to import each page of a PDF (or slide of a Powerpoint) as a separate image, and space them out with space beneath each image so that you can take notes below. However, I really like OO's outlining abilities so I'm hoping to find some combination of both features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnmist
If I import into Keynote and then Keynote to OO, will it automatically separate and make a bullet point for each slide? Or will it just link/display the document?
You will get an outline with slides as top level bullets and the bullets on the slides will become bullets on level 2, 3 etc depending on how it looks like in PP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
You will get an outline with slides as top level bullets and the bullets on the slides will become bullets on level 2, 3 etc depending on how it looks like in PP
Interesting... what happens to the graphics? (Since most of the powerpoints tend to be graphic heavy and the graphical information is the majority of the content).

I'm asking instead of testing myself since I don't own iWork.

No graphic is carried over (which makes sense - to me at least)

You should have an iWork demo on your Mac if it's new... or in the system install disks if it was removed.

Yeah I do. It's not going to do what I want, sadly though if it's importing the text only.

Are they other notetaking apps out there that do something like what I'm looking for?

I've experimented with some of the standard ones--Devonthink, OO, Circus Ponies' Notebook, but no good so far.