The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unable to access database Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
"OmniFocus could not read this database, because it is not in a known format.
Perhaps it has been upgraded by a newer version of OmniFocus."

Upon opening Omnifocus I get the above message and can't figure out how to get my database. any help is appreciated.

thx

What version of OmniFocus do you have? You can check this by right-clicking the OmniFocus icon in Finder and choosing "Get Info".

This error message sounds like the one you'd see if you ran OmniFocus 1.0.3 with a database from 1.1. Have you been using OmniFocus before and maybe accidentally downloaded the older version?

I get the same message. I've removed and tried re-installing as well. Then I tried installing 1.1 AFTER 1.03 and that also didn't work.

"The document “iIvNDsvo2Ld.ofocus-project-metadata” could not be opened."

Awesome. This is turning into a clusterf***.

Hmmm...that's not a problem I'm familiar with, Japhet. I'd email this to urgent@omnigroup.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japhet View Post
"The document “iIvNDsvo2Ld.ofocus-project-metadata” could not be opened."

Awesome. This is turning into a clusterf***.
That's a spotlight metadata file - it's located in
~/Library/Metadata/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus

If you haven't sent your email to the urgent address yet, please include any info that appears in Console.app (inside your utilites folder) while this is going on.

Just because I'm a paranoid git, you may also want to have Disk Utility verify your drive.

The most common cause of folks getting the original error message is that folks have multiple copies of OmniFocus installed - at least one copy of OmniFocus 1.1 (which converted the data into a new format) and at least one copy of an OmniFocus 1.0 release (which can't read the data in the new format).

Do a spotlight search for "OmniFocus"; if multiple copies of OmniFocus are found on the computer, move all the copies of OmniFocus 1.0.x to the trash.