The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

File Browser woes Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
If you're working with an OPML file it's even worse, since all you see is a massive great icon. No preview.

Agree. Although I love most of the UI of OO iPad, the file management interface needs massive work.

I just happened to import a tons of OPML file from iThoughts across my neatly organized folder structures on Work (including Areas of Responsibilities folders), Goals, Personal (in both iThoughts "file system" synced automatically to Dropbox). OO iPad just treated these >30 files as BIG blown up icon with no Preview (unless I converted to OO) and finding these files in the "Coverflow-like" view is a pain!

I like the general interface but the file browser makes using more than a handful of files very difficult.

I would like to use OO in place of Notebooks for keeping meeting notes but the filing system is much better in Notebooks.

Some sort of folders, books or other filing system is certainly needed. Also search and tagging would be very useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vchaney View Post
I like the general interface but the file browser makes using more than a handful of files very difficult.

I would like to use OO in place of Notebooks for keeping meeting notes but the filing system is much better in Notebooks.

Some sort of folders, books or other filing system is certainly needed. Also search and tagging would be very useful.
Agreed, I like Notebooks too.

Notebooks does file management better than any other app that I have tried.

OmniOutliner has such great potential, but in its current form, it is really unusable for business (note taking, agendas...)

I need:
- better file management
- better integration of templates
- better synchronization

Keep up the good work.

The current fancy view implementation barely scales beyond the number of example documents provided by the app. I'm not even sure if zooming out a single document a few percent and presenting a delete and sharing button deserves to be called document management at all.

And no, it's not coverflow, even coverflow presents a preview for a reasonable number of documents left and right to the current, but OO doesn't do that.

I spend extra bucks for a dedicated list/outliner app because I intend to have more than four or five lists. It's a little bit ironic that while the editing engine is the king of the hill for organizing the document management in the very same app fails so hard at it.

There're some good ideas in this thread, but even a simple button which provides a flat list of all files (last modified/by title) would be huge improvement. Please consider it Omni. Thanks.

PS: Email to support goes out as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlaefer View Post

And no, it's not coverflow, even coverflow presents a preview for a reasonable number of documents left and right to the current, but OO doesn't do that.
Coverflow as implemented in the Snow Leopard Finder and iTunes 10 shows only the selected item in its entirety (well, the first page), and portions of documents to either side. That's what OmniOutliner does on my iPad (agreed, it doesn't show as many partially obscured documents). As a bonus, I can actually read the displayed document, which I cannot easily do when using Coverflow in the Finder on an 11" MacBook Air. For the approximately 6 dozen outlines on my iPad, the option to sort by date modified or title combined with the scrubber allows me to get to a file quickly if I either recall the name or approximately when I last worked on it. I would have to scroll through the flat list of 70 files, too, so the proposed list seems like it is going to add the most value for finding a file whose name I don't recall but will recognize without seeing the contents. Is there another scenario where the list is a big win that I've overlooked?

I wouldn't mind having a straight list of files to browse, though (and am sending in my request now). I also wouldn't mind if the WebDAV support remembered where I last was in my hierarchy, if it remembered where a file came from, made it easier to keep multiple versions and so on. But I'm glad they concentrated most of the initial effort on what I can do with the document once I actually find it, because a glorious file management experience linked up to the Notes app would be much less useful, I think...and OmniDocumentManagerWithATouchOfOutlining just doesn't roll off the tongue as pleasingly, and is more work to type :)