The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

About the Calendar sync issue Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Omni Group has announced the termination of Calendar integration with OmniFocus, see:

http://www.omnigroup.com/support/omnifocus-ical-sync

Over at FileMaker, they are also announcing the forthcoming end of such integration with their product, Bento.

I've recently been talking with the folks at Fantastical, whose software integrates with Calendar. Here's their reply concerning the sync issue.

"Apple has deprecated Sync Services, but their more modern equivalents (CalendarStore and EventKit) continue to work. We don't expect to have any trouble interacting with Calendar in the future. I hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions."

Makes me wonder what the real answer is.

Fantastical makes calendar software. It's not a big deal for them to write some glue code that makes their product continue to work in the new environment, if they didn't already have it (they probably needed to write it anyhow).
In Omni's case, it's pretty far off the beaten path, supporting a feature that has long outlived its intended purpose. I don't see any reason not to take both companies at their word here. Supporting it is a good investment for Fantastical, and not for Omni.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
In Omni's case, it's pretty far off the beaten path, supporting a feature that has long outlived its intended purpose. I don't see any reason not to take both companies at their word here. Supporting it is a good investment for Fantastical, and not for Omni.
Not sure I agree with you. A task is a well-defined data object in the Calendar/Reminders ecosystem — which a whole range of useful third-party applications tie into — and users could benefit if OmniFocus tasks were seamlessly integrated with it. For me personally, I couldn't give up OF for back-end planning, but I prefer something more minimalistic to display my current to-do list when I'm actually cranking the widgets. It would be great if I could set that up without jumping through too many scripting hoops.

OmniFocus is quite functional without setting any dates, much less linking it to a calendar. Fantastical is useless without a calendar. Yes, some people find it useful for OmniFocus to have some calendar integration, but it isn't a general requirement.

I think omniFocus is quite functional.