The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Bugs in 1.0? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by BwanaZulia View Post
After all these pages, the one true answer to the question is "Because it can be." Obviously people are willing to buy it and obviously OmniGroup has put in a lot of time developing it and needs to both recover cost and do further development.
Yes, but at the end of the day when all those people buy it if they start finding all the bugs how likely are they going to be to recommend it to others or to purchase upgrades. I really hope they release 1.0.1 quickly and quash a bunch of these bugs but since they have publicly stated that they already have plans for at least two minor revisions 1.0.1 and 1.0.2 it seems pretty obvious that even some of the more obvious bugs won't be fixed for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankly View Post
Yes, but at the end of the day when all those people buy it if they start finding all the bugs how likely are they going to be to recommend it to others or to purchase upgrades. I really hope they release 1.0.1 quickly and quash a bunch of these bugs but since they have publicly stated that they already have plans for at least two minor revisions 1.0.1 and 1.0.2 it seems pretty obvious that even some of the more obvious bugs won't be fixed for a while.
All the bugs? I haven't found OmniFocus to be particularly buggy, and I use it a lot. Sure, there are a few niggling issues, but overall it's a pretty solid 1.0 release (as good or better than most 1.0 releases). Also, be careful to separate fixes from enhancements. A desired new feature is not a bug.

I would (and have) whole-heartedly recommended OmniFocus to others.

Also remember, while it is a 1.0 release, they gave you 1.0 pre-price, so you are not paying full price for the 1.0 (or shouldn't have).

As a daily user, I don't see to many bugs, if any. I would love more features, but I know OG and they are coming.

BZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwanaZulia View Post
Also remember, while it is a 1.0 release, they gave you 1.0 pre-price, so you are not paying full price for the 1.0 (or shouldn't have).

As a daily user, I don't see to many bugs, if any. I would love more features, but I know OG and they are coming.

BZ
That has already expired as noted by Ken in one of his responses. Thousands of people have already paid full price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
All the bugs? I haven't found OmniFocus to be particularly buggy, and I use it a lot. Sure, there are a few niggling issues, but overall it's a pretty solid 1.0 release (as good or better than most 1.0 releases). Also, be careful to separate fixes from enhancements. A desired new feature is not a bug.

I would (and have) whole-heartedly recommended OmniFocus to others.
I am a software developer so I am careful and know that I am talking about bugs. Also, is the bar so low that we expect bugs in a 1.0 release? What are alpha and beta releases for if not to get rid of these things before releasing into production? I know that you can't get it perfect on the first try but when I developed software if a bug were found that was affecting the use of the application we didn't add it to a list of bugs and plan to release all the fixes at once. We fixed it, tested the fix, and deployed it. This idea that they have all of these bug fix releases planned tells me they know about a bunch of bugs and are taking a good amount of time to fix them. Once people invest money in your product I think they deserve fast service. How about a reply from support within 24 hours at least?

Know bugs acknowledged by Omni in the forums:
http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=6722

I've only been using it for a few days and have found the following:

1) Checking the Show Soon and Overdue actions in the menu bar and Dock would not work. Then all of a sudden the next day they started working.
2) Even though you tell it to sort things by due date they don't sort. I currently have items sorted by due date and OmniFocus has them ordered like this: 2/29, 2/21, 2/26. How in the heck can you get organized if you have items that are due today displayed below items that are due next week?

I'm sorry but things like this that make you waste your time trying to figure out why they don't work is ridiculous, especially from a piece of software whose main function is to help you save time and get things done!!!

Quote:
Also, is the bar so low that we expect bugs in a 1.0 release?
No, I don't expect glaring bugs in a 1.0 release. But, in reality, a software developer such as yourself (and many others on these forums) should know that releases, particularly 1.0 releases, are often under enormous pressure in both time and resources. So while I don't like to see bugs, the simple fact of the matter is that it's not unusual to see a few in the first release. As a software developer, have any of your 1.0 releases been entirely bug-free? Heck, have any of your software releases been entirely bug-free? If so, you are truly a gifted developer and in the extreme minority.

Quote:
What are alpha and beta releases for if not to get rid of these things before releasing into production?
Having participated in the alpha and beta programs, it seems to me that the vast majority of reported major faults were fixed in those iterations. Others bugs still exist (with arguably minor impact), but at some point you just have to ship the product.

Quote:
I know that you can't get it perfect on the first try but when I developed software if a bug were found that was affecting the use of the application we didn't add it to a list of bugs and plan to release all the fixes at once. We fixed it, tested the fix, and deployed it. This idea that they have all of these bug fix releases planned tells me they know about a bunch of bugs and are taking a good amount of time to fix them.
You don't follow a planned release cycle for your products, where bug fixes and features are accumulated and released at periodic intervals? It sounds like you deploy a new release for each and every fix. Isn't that inefficient?

I think Omni's approach is more typical in the industry. I know it's certainly the process in my company, but then we're a much larger operation than OmniGroup with over 70 developers working on a single product.

As for having releases mapped out into the future, have you considered that some of the included fixes might just be very complicated and require more time to get right? Or maybe they're dependent on an OS-related bug that first needs to be fixed by Apple. In those cases, it makes sense to plan smaller releases in the interim to get at least some of the fixes out into the field, then release others later. I don't see a problem with this. In fact, it suggests that Omni is doing a good job prioritizing fixes and planning their release cycles - exactly what I'd expect from an organization of professional software engineers that follow a process.

Anyway, it's only a been a little over a month since OmniFocus 1.0 was released. A week or two of that time was surely consumed by Macworld. That leaves 4 weeks or less since the initial release. That doesn't seem like very long at all.

Quote:
Once people invest money in your product I think they deserve fast service. How about a reply from support within 24 hours at least?
And for the most part, I think Omni Group customers do get fast service. That's one of the things Omni Group's reputation has been built on. I'd dare say few consumer software companies offer better service on such a large scale.

But to expect 24 hour response times is pretty demanding. I can't think of any consumer software companies that guarantee 24 response times across multiple products without the customer having to pay for a special service agreement.

Quote:
I've only been using it for a few days and have found the following:

1) Checking the Show Soon and Overdue actions in the menu bar and Dock would not work. Then all of a sudden the next day they started working.
I haven't seen this problem, nor have I read any reports of it here before now. Are you able to reproduce it? If not, there's insufficient information here for Omni to even start thinking about a fix. Still, if you're interested in participating in the community, you could send feedback about it to Omni and then keep an eye open for the issue to reoccur in the future.

Quote:
2) Even though you tell it to sort things by due date they don't sort. I currently have items sorted by due date and OmniFocus has them ordered like this: 2/29, 2/21, 2/26. How in the heck can you get organized if you have items that are due today displayed below items that are due next week?
Are you sorting in Planning Mode or Context Mode? Note than sorting works on projects in Planning Mode and on actions in Context Mode.

FWIW, I haven't seen any sorting problems on my system. But if you still see this problem, I'd encourage you to discuss it openly on these forums (there are lots of smart people here with deep knowledge of OmniFocus) and send feedback to OmniGroup if you're convinced there's a bug.

Quote:
I'm sorry but things like this that make you waste your time trying to figure out why they don't work is ridiculous, especially from a piece of software whose main function is to help you save time and get things done!!!
I'm sorry you feel like you're wasting your time. And there's no doubt that OmniFocus is a sophisticated app that can sometimes be confusing if you aren't familiar with it. And I'm sure there are some bugs that have yet to be worked out or even revealed. But from the examples you've given here and my own experience, I don't really see a significant problem.

Last edited by Toadling; 2008-02-20 at 09:54 AM..

1) I love how you question me about how many releases have been bug free, completely ignoring the subsequent paragraph (which you later quote) that states the approach I took when bugs presented themselves. Don't cherry-pick my posts. It doesn't help to further the conversation.

2) "but at some point you just have to ship the product." ????? Really??? They weren't delivering this to an outside client. They are under NO OBLIGATION to ever ship this product. The only obligation they have is to themselves. If this is your attitude toward software development then you WILL release buggy code.

3) Again, it helps if you actually read what I wrote. I did NOT say that we didn't follow a planned release schedule. What I DID say is if a bug were found that was affecting the use of the application we didn't add it to a list of bugs and plan to release all the fixes at once. We fixed it, tested the fix, and deployed it.

Let me repeat, if a bug were found that was affecting the use of the application we didn't add it to a list of bugs and plan to release all the fixes at once. We fixed it, tested the fix, and deployed it.

There are different levels of bugs to be sure but the one I mentioned about the sorting order is NOT one that I would let wait to be grouped with other fixes.

4) You may not be aware of any examples of exemplary customer service but that does not mean they don't exist. I deal with many companies that provide fast responses and they DO NOT require extra money in order to do this. Heck, Jet Brains (makers of IntelliJ IDEA) actually respond to queries in less than 30 minutes on EVERY occasion that I have asked them a question. Yes, less than 30 minutes.

5) So let me get this straight, the INTENDED function is that actions should not be sorted inside of projects? I suppose if that is how they INTENDED for it to work then it isn't a bug. It doesn't make any sense to me that it would work that way but I didn't create the specification for this product.

6) It is a waste of time, no matter who you are, to work through bugs just to be able to use a piece of software. Unless you are a paid tester then it is by definition a waste of your time. I'm not sure why you would have a problem with that statement.

Last edited by Ken Case; 2008-02-20 at 10:45 AM.. Reason: Removed unabridged quote of the previous post to improve readability. (No edits were made to any original content added in this post.)

I am inclined to agree about wanting to sort items by due date in planning mode.

I have a Next Actions Single Actions List and if I could sort them by due date I could find out which is the next due Action and its Context and move myself to working in that context if at all possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogsbreath View Post
I am inclined to agree about wanting to sort items by due date in planning mode.

I have a Next Actions Single Actions List and if I could sort them by due date I could find out which is the next due Action and its Context and move myself to working in that context if at all possible
That's a good suggestion, something Omni should seriously consider implementing. But it's not a bug.

As it is, I believe the feature is working as intended: sort by project in Planning Mode and by action in Context Mode. You may or may not agree with that design decision, but that's what was intended and I'm pretty sure that's what we got. Am I wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
That's a good suggestion, something Omni should seriously consider implementing. But it's not a bug.

As it is, I believe the feature is working as intended: sort by project in Planning Mode and by action in Context Mode. You may or may not agree with that design decision, but that's what was intended and I'm pretty sure that's what we got. Am I wrong?
I always love the "working as intended" line. If I code something to specs and it doesn't make any sense for it to work that way then yes, it is not a bug. But if it doesn't make sense for it to work that way it should have been caught during the planning process of the application. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe only Dogsbreath and I have an issue with this. But it seems absolutely illogical that I would want to sort projects by due date and NOT have the actions inside of those projects ALSO sorted by due date.