The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Request: 64-bit Intel OmniGraffle Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I would like to request that OmniGraffle have available a 64-bit Intel version. My main reason for requesting this is security: 1) 64-bit binaries have additional security safeguards while executing. Although security is not as big a deal with OmniGraffle as many programs, because I don't download data files from the web, and, OmniGraffle on Macs represents a pretty small target, still, it does execute with data originated by others and therefore does represent a risk, albeit small. The other reasons that I would like to see a 64-bit version are: 2) It is already Cocoa, so, should be fairly easy; 3) Certain things do perform faster (e.g. byte copies) in 64-bits; 4) Doing a 64-bit clean version will help clean up a lot of bugs (especially bugs due to mis-conflating integers and pointers); 5) The iPad/ARM version has just been done, and that should have cleaned up most of the architecture-specific crud already; 6) One fewer 32-bit program to see when I run Activity Monitor (13 out of 75 processes at the moment are 32-bit; the other 62 are 64-bit).