The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Repeating actions...repeating actions... Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
same here: I have many recurring tasks currently in kGTD, and it sort of works for the moment.

On the topic of not wanting new ones to be created as soon as you tick off the current one: they wouldn't be immediately in your radar/in your face if you were looking at your actions through a smart folder that only shows you stuff up to a certain number of days in the future.

So bring on those smart folders ...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiralOcean
I can't really test out the alpha, yes I got a golden ticket :-), until this feature is implemented. I have about 2k tasks in my current system, and many of them are repeating events. Once OmniFocus has repeating events, I can begin to move all my data over and stress test the sucka'. :-o

If there is any way to get the repeating tasks sooner than later, I would vote for that priority.

Hmm... even if repeating tasks were in OmniFocus, I would be dealing with the speed issue... ah well... baby steps to the beta... baby steps to the release.

Thank you.
There is a start and end date text box in the Inspector, is that for recurring events?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlindeman
I agree completely with this. I'm still living in kGTD until repeating/recurring tasks are implemented in Omnifocus.
Same here. Please implement these asap - it's a basic feature.

Niggling detail for "recurring tasks" implementation: Give me a pref for when the tasks recur; midnight? 15 minutes before I clicked complete for the last instance of the task? Once another dependency is cleared ("at least a week after last time, and not until XYZ has occurred").

Why do you want to include date-based actions in your next-actions list manager?

I would have thought anything with a date goes into your calendar as it is hard-landscape?

In response to bongoman: because the next action might itself be date-based. One of the great advantages of a computer application over paper lists and files is that the list manager can also serve as a tickler file that automatically moves items into the action list when they become relevant.

From a GTD perspective, there's a difference between things that can ony be done on a particular date and things that are not actionable before a particular date. And in the real world, when we plan (or brainstorm) projects we often think of tasks that are necessary but not yet. OmniFocus (or any other program that can accommodate future start or due dates, such as Life Balance) allows the next-actions list manager to also serve as a tickler, which dramatically reduces the number of systems one has to consult to make sure that everything is collected so it can be acted on.

You got it, Brian.

Quote:
I agree completely with this. I'm still living in kGTD until repeating/recurring tasks are implemented in Omnifocus.
As am I.

Incidentally, I really like the idea listed above of "lead time" on a task. Right now in kGTD, I can't really have both a due-date and a recurring task in one. I need to put in the recurrance timing, so it pops up in time for me to act upon. I'd love a clever system that accommodated both.

Quote:
Second that..

Once OmniFocus gets the basics that kGTD and removes the ObjectMeter (probably beta) I will move over full time.

This would, of course, save me a lot of time since I am jumping back and forth so much which David would frown on... :)

BZ

You gys n gls at Omni are doing a tremendous job on the response & bug fixes! Any hope of a repeating task coming soon? :-)