The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

default due date and project Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'd like to have all inbox items (or more specifically, those added via quick entry) get a default due date and project name. Is this possible?

basically, the goal is to have a simple list project called 'to-do' and all items show in the icon badge on the iPhone app.

this way I can use omnifocus as a GTD tool and a quick todo list app

thanks!

-Andrew

The default project part is pretty easy - in the "Data" pane of preferences, you can specify what should happen when you don't specify which project an action goes in.

(Set the "Default list for single actions" preference to the list you want to use, in other words.)

You'll still need to specify whatever due date you want used, though - we have a request open for a default due date, but it's not in the app yet. If you send email to the support ninjas, they can attach you to the request for that feature.

if i set the default to 'to-do' from the list in prefs, items still sit in the inbox... how do I trigger processing?

If just hitting the "Clean Up" shortcut (command-k) doesn't cause the items to leave the inbox, you'll want to check what setting you have selected for "Clean Up Inbox items which have" in that same pane of preferences.

Sorry; should have remembered that factored in as well...

sorry, I mean that the project is not assigned to the item... from the clean up choices, I have to either have a project or context or both for the item, what I'm trying to do is force assignement to the to-do project by default without having to enter it.

You'll want to select either the "A context" or "Either a project or a context" option for "Clean up items which have".

At that point, you can add a new item, specify a context for the action, leave the project blank, and have it added to the list you specified when you hit the clean up shortcut.

shouldn't it already do that if I have "Either a project or a context" checked and I specify 'to-do' as the default project to add to? or does the project only get applied AFTER cleanup runs?

I'm basically trying to set things up so I can add simple to-dos thru quick entry with only a title, and then have the number of unchecked items in that project show in the iphone app badge.

Last edited by burgessa23; 2009-08-03 at 04:13 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgessa23 View Post
I'm basically trying to set things up so I can add simple to-dos thru quick entry with only a title, and then have the number of unchecked items in that project show in the iphone app badge.
Would you like a setting for whether the app badge also counts Inbox items?

That would be perfect!!

is there a plist i can edit for that or do you guys have to make app changes?