The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ports to open for OmniFocus Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Just installed Little Snitch security app and have found that it blocked something in OF's startup that prevented it from opening the database. It kept on reporting the file is locked by another app. The problem resolved only when I allowed any connection by OF from within Little Snitch.

I was running one of the recent sneakypeak version and syncing with an external WebDAV server.

Any pointers? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciprol View Post
It kept on reporting the file is locked by another app.
That doesn't sound like an error message from Little Snitch, but rather a message that OmniFocus displays if you've got multiple copies of OmniFocus trying to access the same database file. The same situation can occur if OmniFocus doesn't quit gracefully (e.g. it crashes, you force quit the app, etc.) and fails to remove the lock file on your database. Upon relaunch, OmniFocus sees the lock file and thinks another app, or another version of OmniFocus, has the database open.

The solution is to quit OmniFocus and manually remove the lingering lock file:

~/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus/OmniFocus.ofocus.lock

Where "~" is the path to your user account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciprol View Post
Any pointers?
I'm a longtime Little Snitch user and have been using OmniFocus for over a year. Looking at my Little Snitch configuration, I can see I have the following ports allowed for OmniFocus:

For syncing with MobileMe:
Port 443 at idisk.me.com

For OmniFocus software update and downloading of sneaky peaks:
Port 80 at downloads.extremesims.com
Port 80 at update.omnigroup.com

I haven't seen OmniFocus making any other network connections.

-Dennis

Thanks for the reply and yes, the message came from OF, not Little Snitch.

I also did some looking around in the meantime and have opened port 443 as you also indicated and the problem have resolved itself since. The strange thing is, even if I close the port now, OF would no longer spit out that error message. Maybe there was a coincidence b/n my installation of Little Snitch and the appearance of this lock file within OF.