The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

docx export Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've only just got around to testing the new style export capability. Thank you for this: it's something I've wanted for a long time.

I do some tech writing and I want to work on my text for as long as possible in outline form before exporting to InDesign to format and illustrate.

Unfortunately, when I try to place a .docx created by OmniOutliner into InDesign, it crashes immediately.

The same .docx opens fine in Pages. A .doc created by Pages brings my level styles into InDesign OK.

Any suggestions? Special charms or incantations needed?

Mik

I'll have to do some research on this. It might be looking for some info that's not being written out.

I am having related problems - no matter what I do (open in pager, open in Word2008, go back and forth between these) I cannot get my levels. This has been a fundamental problem with all OO's exporting - levels are not preserved - and when they are, they are just tabs; for example the RTF export does a nice job but if you take it into Word, the bullets are not really bullets but lines with spaced indents....thus, given this new initiative to actually export into MSWord files, then it should be possible to actully have the levels come out as bullet formats etc.

Please fix this important issue - allowing OO to export levels in a formatted manner so that the importing program takes in bulleted style rather than just spacing.

thank you,
UC

If you're using the docx export, levels are preserved but you will only see them in outline view mode of Pages and Word. This was one of the main reasons for this export. If it's not working for you, please send your OO document and exported docx file to omnioutliner@omnigroup.com and we'll see what's going on.

Mik-

Could you please let me know what version of InDesign you're using. I have access to CS3 and it imports fine with the couple files I tried.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
I've only just got around to testing the new style export capability. Thank you for this: it's something I've wanted for a long time.

I do some tech writing and I want to work on my text for as long as possible in outline form before exporting to InDesign to format and illustrate.

Unfortunately, when I try to place a .docx created by OmniOutliner into InDesign, it crashes immediately.

The same .docx opens fine in Pages. A .doc created by Pages brings my level styles into InDesign OK.

Any suggestions? Special charms or incantations needed?

Mik

I'm using CS4. I just tried the new beta - same result.

Thanks

Ah, looks like it's not liking something with styles.

Ok, I've fixed the couple issues I was able to find. If you have any files you're willing to send that I can test with that would be great. You can email them to omnioutliner@omnigroup.com

Thanks!