The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iOS5 Killer addition > You can flag mails > You can script mail rule to add to OF :)) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
All,

Taking a look around iOS5, surely the best news there is that you can now flag mails on your iPad (and prob phone too, havent checked yet)? So you can set a mail rule up in OSX to send flagged mails to the OF inbox?

My workflow is very much using the OF inbox for anything, so if i have an email to deal with when I'm out and about, I'll typically want to get it into my Mac OF inbox for when I'm back in the office. If i can deal with it on my iPad I'll do it straight away.

For me the http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=22146 email provided by OF is too slow to use - quickly flagging mails when your out and about, then having a OSX Mail rule to turn flagged messages into OF inbox items will make life a LOT easier.

I'm going to go and hunt out the scripts that do that, but I'd have thought this would be a massive topic for all OF users, it is for me.

As soon as I have a play, will post back with script updates and anything I find - if anyone already has working scripts, please post them here.

Thanks, Steve.

I am not sure you can actually do that without a custom script. It will neither work with mail rules since those ignore flagged items altogether. Neither is there an Automator action availible to check for flagged actions I think. So it would have to be a mail script that ideally had to be executed automatically. But I do not know how well such works.

Checking this out, on the one hand it looks very easy - but there's a difficult snag to deal with...

All that required is to use the existing standard "Send to omnifocus" rule thats added to mail - condition is that if the subject contains "+omnifocus", then it gets added to OF using the script /Applications/OmniFocus.app/Contents/Resources/MailAction.applescript

Its all there.

The issue is that in the Condition List, there is not a condition "If message is flagged" - as it assumes flagging is something done once you download a message, i.e. an action.

I have done a few searches on how to add a custom condition into the mail rule list, but nothing helpful popped up - if we can get this condition added to the mail rules, then this will be easy to get working.

Anyone out there got any ideas on how to add this custom condition to the mail rule set? I notice that "Smart Mailboxes" have a "If message is flagged" condition, so maybe its possible to grab the code for this from there?

Kind regards, Steve

I'm incredibly interested in this as well. I found a thread with a AppleScript but it seems a bit out of date ( http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=10575 )

Looking at the Mail Rules, I wondered if something could be done with editing the header list, but to no avail. With gmail, for example, 'starred' items are stored (I believe) in a separate folder or given a label, and flags in Mail.app work in their own way, and a translation takes place. This would be different for other mail services and mail clients.

I'll keeping looking around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ende View Post
I'm incredibly interested in this as well. I found a thread with a AppleScript but it seems a bit out of date ( http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=10575 )

Looking at the Mail Rules, I wondered if something could be done with editing the header list, but to no avail. With gmail, for example, 'starred' items are stored (I believe) in a separate folder or given a label, and flags in Mail.app work in their own way, and a translation takes place. This would be different for other mail services and mail clients.

I'll keeping looking around.
Great someone else is interested in this - I havent found anything new as yet, but I'm keen to find a method that just adds a new "If mail is tagged" condition to mail rules so that we can use the standard add to OF script - I find apple scripts that run on my mail can often cause more issues than theyre worth...

Another thought here is to somehow use smart folders in mail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjohn View Post
Great someone else is interested in this - I havent found anything new as yet, but I'm keen to find a method that just adds a new "If mail is tagged" condition to mail rules so that we can use the standard add to OF script - I find apple scripts that run on my mail can often cause more issues than theyre worth...
Fly in the ointment is that mail rules aren't run if the message has already been marked read by another client, which means now you have to both flag the message and mark it unread. Seems easier to do half as many steps and run a script when you get back to the Mac that handles all of the flagged messages.

I can't even find the "flag mail" setting on my iPad. How do you do it?

If you are viewing a message, there should be a Mark link in the upper right part of the message viewer. Tap that, then flag. IOS 5 only — with earlier versions, it just shows Mark Unread.

Ok, thanks. I didn't see it at first because my exchange mail doesn't show it. But Gmail does. Wonder why.