The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

The Future of OmniWeb? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker4Mac View Post
I too have been a long time user of OmniWeb and regret that it hasn't been getting much attention lately. I'm finding a few websites that don't work in OmniWeb or that work significantly better with other browsers. Unfortunately, that number continues to slowly grow.
Any examples you'd care to share? The only ones I can recall encountering didn't work well with Safari either, and my usual reaction to that is to ignore the site...

Off the top of my head:
  • the new Google image search
  • Facebook is somewhat wonky
  • certain forums are wonky

It isn't enough for me to not use OmniWeb as my main browser, but there are things that I've gone to using Safari for instead of OmniWeb.

I apologize to OmniWeb, Just when I thought the latest stable release was
unstable I realized that it was the Jon Hicks Tiger theme that was no longer
compatible with 5.10x. I am no fan of the default theme but it works.
Please continue to update OmniWeb it does what no other browser can.
Thank You
Dan

Last edited by Intel iMac; 2010-10-21 at 03:48 PM..

On 2010-07-13, 'Brian' from OMNI GROUP said, "Other projects need our attention right now; that will likely continue to be the case at least until we finish the rest of our iPad projects. (OmniFocus, OmniOutliner, OmniPlan.)

Before someone hops on and says "OmniWeb is dead!" - that's not what I'm saying. Just that we don't know when we'll work on it next."

This appears be their current position on OW 6.0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL40381808701 View Post
…Before someone hops on and says "OmniWeb is dead!" - that's not what I'm saying. Just that we don't know when we'll work on it next."…
That's good enough for me. It's dead.

Le Omniweb est mort vive le Omniweb

We're not actively working on new features for OmniWeb 6 at the moment, but we're certainly still continuing to develop and enhance OmniWeb 5. Check the long list of release notes for the OmniWeb 5.10.2 release, which we shipped a few months ago—and don't forget to also check out the sneaky peeks of our upcoming 5.11 release, which integrates the latest shipping WebKit from Safari 5.0.3 (along with a few other changes which might not have made it into the release notes yet, like adding "iPad 4.2.1" as an option in the "identify as" popup).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
…we're certainly still continuing to develop and enhance OmniWeb 5…
I'm not grumbling, Ken, just saying.

I have a copy of the latest sneaky peek for the sake of old times, but, in all honesty, I use it less and less frequently now.

I was happy enough to pay for OmniWeb 4 in 2003 plus the upgrade fee to version 5 because it was different. Now it has to compete with Safari and Chrome and it is unsurprising that commercial software developers retain it merely as a hobby project to be worked on only when time permits.

I'm not grumbling, just saying.

I do regret that attention to OmniWeb has taken a back seat. OmniWeb still has many features that haven't appeared elsewhere and I still use it as my main browser for those features. Unfortunately, there is a growing list of sites where I have to move over to Safari or Firefox to get them to work properly.

Well, don't be shy, post the offending sites. There's more chance the problem will be fixed if you give examples of what doesn't work than if you merely say "it doesn't always work"!