The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Could someone please explain Workspaces to me? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
I wish someone who really loves and uses workspaces would record a video showing how they use them. Because I've tried on numerous occasions to get into this feature, and it's just a dead end for me.

Although I do occasionally load a couple of related sites or pages, I've never been able to think of a single situation in which I always want to load a particular set of tabs at the same time. Trying to predict my browser use and organize around it has proven to be futile.

It seems to me as well that using workspaces tends to rack up memory usage a lot faster. Since the pages of other workspaces stay loaded in memory, what happens when you've loaded 50 tabs in different workspaces? Is OW now using 800 MB of RAM? Cause when I visit 50 sites, closing each page when I'm done with it, those pages are certainly not all still sitting in memory, and OW's footprint is usually around 250 MB after an hour or more of heavy use.

Some of you said you don't even use bookmarks anymore. I must be missing something, cause I don't see how workspaces could supplant the need for bookmarks. My favorites bar is like a giant personalized directory, with thousands of bookmarks organized into top level folders representing categories. I use them constantly. Despite the sheer number of them I can find and access any one of them very quickly. As far as I'm concerned, there is no possible way workspaces could replace bookmarks, the way I use them.

Here are a few questions I'd like to ask of anyone who really finds these things useful...

What do you guys use workspaces for?

Do you create a workspace for each site you visit, or do you have groups of sites that load together? Do you actually want all of those tabs loading every time, or do you occasionally end up loading four pages when you only wanted to see one, just because they happen to share the same workspace?

How could they possibly replace bookmarks?

I'm honestly interested to know. I took another run at trying to use workspaces recently, and it ended the same way as my previous attempts -- abandoning the idea and going back to working within a single window. Perhaps it's a matter of organizational style, or perhaps I'm just totally missing the point.

I want to like this feature...teach me your wise ways, o learned ones.

Last edited by Stormchild; 2006-08-31 at 06:19 PM..