The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Why not Windows? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsinger View Post
Yes, it's a shame there isn't at least a web-based component. Then I could use it on my android phone and from my netbook along with my macs.
I have to agree. It would be very neat if there were a Web version of the application - the way that EverNote makes a web version of its application. Just my two groschen...

Daniel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venture View Post
... It's just a shame that there are surely lots of Mac users in the same boat - can't use the app because they must use Windows elsewhere.
Interesting to invert this discussion and get in a time machine going back say 15-20 years when the shoe was on the other foot so to speak. The Mac community took its own full share of snubbings from software developers who sometimes rather blatantly refused to develop Macintosh versions of their DOS/Windows-only apps. That did not prevent Mac users from using their Macs and using every piece of (usually better) software they could find on it, even though they _had_ to use DOS/Windows elsewhere.

--
JJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJJWMac View Post
Interesting to invert this discussion and get in a time machine going back say 15-20 years when the shoe was on the other foot so to speak. The Mac community took its own full share of snubbings from software developers who sometimes rather blatantly refused to develop Macintosh versions of their DOS/Windows-only apps. That did not prevent Mac users from using their Macs and using every piece of (usually better) software they could find on it, even though they _had_ to use DOS/Windows elsewhere.

--
JJW
Interesting thought. I'm not sure it's an exact inverse comparison. I don't HAVE to use my Macs like those Windows users of old had to use Windows. I bought my Macs because I like them, and I'm just trying to fit my Mac world into a world that was then and is now largely Windows-based. This particular hurdle is just eliminating one Mac app from my potential arsenal. I'm pretty happy with Toodledo, but have just heard great things about Omnifocus. Since 75% of my use for such an app is for my job (which uses Windows), it doesn't make sense for me to get an app that I can't easily access on that job, be it through the web or a native Windows app.

Again, I completely understand where the Omnifocus folks are coming from, and that is their right (obviously) to make that decision, but it still is a shame that many Mac users are shut out.

FWIW, a web-based version of OmniFocus is something we've discussed working on. We don't have any folks available to throw at such a project right now, but maybe someday.

In the meantime, if you know any talented Cocoa developers in the Seattle area that haven't already been snapped up, please point them at our jobs page. ;-)

The issue is not about how much money you can or cannot make. It is about supporting people who would like to use your application, but also use Windows because they have to at their jobs or at home. Entering data on a virtual keyboard is not efficient. There are millions of people who could be better organized if they could use OmniFocus on their desktops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveWB View Post
There are millions of people who could be better organized if they could use OmniFocus on their desktops.
Undoubtedly true, but why stop there? What about all the people who would be better organized with OmniFocus on their desktops, but don't have a spare $80 to buy the application? What about all the people who can't run Windows, either? Is it really Omni's obligation to cater to everyone? It's not like they are the only game in town!

Quote:
.....Entering data on a virtual keyboard is not efficient. There are millions of people who could be better organized if they could use OmniFocus on their desktops.
You can always use a bluetooth keyboard paired with the iPad or iPhone as well.....

Quote:
The issue is not about how much money you can or cannot make.
It probably ought to be.

Money is a time-tested aggregator of incommensurate values, and a great simplifier of complex decisions. Unsustainable support, even of many millions, soon becomes quite hard to distinguish from no support to anyone at all.

There are already a number of web based apps that support GTD much more completely than OF does, they just don't look as nice.

OF's major selling point for me is that it works VERY well on desktop, tablet, and phone, keeping in perfect sync without needing a solid data connection all the time, and it does this on all these devices in a sleek and user friendly manner.

Nothing else meets on the market really meets this need as well as OF.

If they were to release a Windows version, it would have to be a LOT better than all the other Windows and Web only competitors for anyone to use it (considering they are generally a lot cheaper than OF, or even free), and that is going to be an uphill battle. They would also probably need to release an Android and Windows Mobile app to go with it to remain competitive. Otherwise the only Windows users they get will be people who already have the Mac version but want (for example) something to sync with it at their Windows only workplace. It would be tough to make something financially viable.

Personally I would love a Windows version too, but also personally I would not want to risk funding it's development.

Quote:
The issue is not about how much money you can or cannot make. It is about supporting people who would like to use your application, but also use Windows because they have to at their jobs or at home. Entering data on a virtual keyboard is not efficient. There are millions of people who could be better organized if they could use OmniFocus on their desktops.
+1.....

For better or worse, I have to use a Windows laptop at work, no option to use Macs...

The 'good news' is that company recently allowed me to get an iPad and iPhone....

So, now I wish I could use a Windows version of OF.....and then on iPad and iPhone....

Have read all the various threads and posts on this subject here on the forums from the past year or so....but just want to reinforce the idea that for those of us that don't have the Mac option at work, a Windows version would be great and I don't mind if it doesn't look exactly like the Mac version, I'm not a purist and got over long time ago all the 'philosophical BS' about only using Macs. The main point is to have my 3 devices all run OF....

To be clear, I do love the Mac platform and when possible I prefer to use it and have done so at home since '86 and when I had my own business (closed 9 yrs ago...).

If my company gave me option to use a Mac, I would do so and then would not have this issue. Unfortunately, this will not happen and don't want to change jobs for at least a few more years....

While a web based solution is better than nothing, for various reasons, don't like depending upon the web and access to it to run a program....

It seems clear that for Omni Group's own reasons, they probably won't ever develop a Windows version, think it's a short-sighted decision when it comes to a program that is appropriate for use in the workplace where a lot of PC's are in use...

Just my 2¢.....of course, YMMV.....

;)