The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parallel v sequential issue, keyboard commands Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hope no one will mind a set of related issues in this one thread:

I can't figure out why one sub-project won't accept a change from
sequential to parallel. All other sub-projects and related actions
shift back and forth as I click on the "parallel/sequential" arrows
icon, but three children in a sub-project folder resist changing.
Even adding a duplicate item manually and using the pulldown context
menu doesn't change the greyed-out status.

Hmmmm....

There's a thread in the forum that discusses right-clicking an item,
but I'm using a MacBook Pro with a trackpad and no mouse.

On a related front, the "move up" and other positioning commands
under "structure" call for keyboard commands involving an "up arrow."
I don't have one on my MBP keyboard, though I do have the "page up"
and other keys in the lower right corner.

Thanks for a very smooth alpha - looking forward to Ethan's next
screencast video!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastgasp View Post
There's a thread in the forum that discusses right-clicking an item,
but I'm using a MacBook Pro with a trackpad and no mouse.
Ctrl-click on MBP will perform a right-click. Surely the trackpad allows for a click.

Quote:
On a related front, the "move up" and other positioning commands
under "structure" call for keyboard commands involving an "up arrow."
I don't have one on my MBP keyboard, though I do have the "page up"
and other keys in the lower right corner.
On the MBP the "page up" is an "up arrow". It becomes a "page up" if you Option-"up arrow". I think command-"up arrow" also does a "page up".

Last edited by pvonk; 2007-09-19 at 05:03 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastgasp View Post
There's a thread in the forum that discusses right-clicking an item, but I'm using a MacBook Pro with a trackpad and no mouse.
Not answering your original question, but "right click" (aka "contextual click") can be done on any mac by using control-click.

You can also set it up to use a two-finger click on the trackpad as a a "right click". Go to Apple Menu > System Preferences, go to Keyboard & Mouse, and then Trackpad. Finally, check the "Place two fingers on trackpad and click button for secondary click" option.

Thank you both for the keyboard reminders; I should have tracked those down myself before posting.

Even with those solutions in hand however, I haven't been able to make the sub-projects switch from sequential [children greyed out] to parallel [all children 'active']. The parallel/sequential flag changes on the main project, and ONE of the sub-projects children change with it, but the other two sub-projects remain stubbornly greyed out.

Can you post the hierarchy? It's possible you're misunderstanding the sequential/parallel. As I understand it, if the project is set to sequential, all subprojects (actually called "action groups") must be completed in order. That is, if you had this:

> Project
>> Action Group 1
>>> action 1
>>> action 2
>> Action Group 2
>>> action 3
>>> action 4
>> Action Group 3
>>> action 5
>>> action 6

If Project were "sequential", then only Action Group 1 and Action 1 will be available, while if it were "parallel", then all action groups and actions are available.

If you want to do action group 1, 2 and 3 together (i.e. they're not dependant on each other), the entire project should be set to parallel. If you further want actions within each group to be sequential, then control-click/right-click on that action group and set it to "sequential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
...If Project were "sequential", then only Action Group 1 and Action 1 will be available, while if it were "parallel", then all action groups and actions are available.

If you want to do action group 1, 2 and 3 together (i.e. they're not dependant on each other), the entire project should be set to parallel. If you further want actions within each group to be sequential, then control-click/right-click on that action group and set it to "sequential.
I am trying to make the entire project parallel - all action groups and actions available. Unfortuately, when I apply the parallel mode to the entire project, two of the action groups remain greyed out (except for the first uncompleted action in each).

Other projects and subprojects in my file work as expected. I only noticed this new behavior after downloading the latest iteration of the alpha. While it's certainly possible it's operator error, I can't figure out why it would only be so in this project.

Hm. Can you just confirm that each of the action groups are set to parallel? (Control-click > Parallel)

If they are, then it's certainly possible there's a problem with the data. You could try recreating the project or the action group and see if it persists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
Hm. Can you just confirm that each of the action groups are set to parallel? (Control-click > Parallel)

If they are, then it's certainly possible there's a problem with the data. You could try recreating the project or the action group and see if it persists.
Closed the file, re-opened it, clicked on the parallel icon for the entire project (which did *not* change two of the three nested action groups), then control-clicked the two nested action groups individually again as you suggested. This time, the change worked.

Thanks again to everyone who commented.