The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Slow start-up (5.6 alpha) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello

I know it is still a alpha. But ask anyway (maybe I have a "bad" preference or something).

When starting OmniWeb it takes several seconds (≈5 s) before the window is shown.

I have the default start page – but choosing "empty" have the same delay.

regards
Magnus

I'm seeing the same thing lately with the nightly builds.

I was wondering if it had something to do with syncing my bookmarks via .Mac. But there's been a significant increase in Omniweb appearing to slow down my operating system lately.

Hopefully whatever is going on will get fixed soon.

Try clearing your history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT View Post
Try clearing your history.
What is it, actually, that makes OW slow down when the history has become very large? I deliberately want to have a large history in order to be able to find pages I have visited some time ago with that great OW feature of just typing in keywords.

Is there really no way to have OW start up quickly and have a large history?

The full text of web pages is stored in an ox database which unfortunately isn't the greatest performer at larger sizes. It's this database that usually causes the history slow downs and there isn't a lot that can be done to prevent this from happening.

You can nuke your history index database. Doing this wont kill your history list just the ability to do full text searches of the visited pages (which it sounds like you may be using).

1.) In finder go to: "~/Library/Application Support/OmniWeb 5/" (where ~ is your home folder)
2.) Find and remove the file called: "HistoryIndex.ox"

Restart OmniWeb.

Hi
I have trashed the ox-file and make sure OmniWeb using the default icon database.

But the startup is still slow.

Regards
Magnus

Can you get a sample of OmniWeb for us? To do this, launch activity monitor an application found in the Utilities folder of your Applications folder. Find OmniWeb in the list and double click on it. In the new window that shows up click on Sample. Save the logs that show up and attach them to your reply!

Morning.
Here is the sample.

One observation I just did. It seems like if OmniWeb is opened by clicking on a link in a mail, the window is shown without the delay. But opened from the dock there is this delay.

regards
Magnus
Attached Files
File Type: zip OmniWeb_magnus.zip (1.5 KB, 559 views)

That is interesting - I see the same thing when OmniWeb is launched from a link in Mail (window appears much faster than if launching from the dock... probably takes a similar time to load the whole workspace overall, but the window appears significantly sooner).