The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Keyboard shortcut for toggling sequential/parallel? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
Really? I have the Scripts menu enabled but I could have sworn I tried assigning keyboard shortcuts before and it didn't work. I'll have to try again. Thanks, Greg!
Tried to assign a keyboard shortcut to a script in my Scripts menu and it doesn't seem to work for me. This is on Leopard 10.5.7.

Greg, have you actually tried this? Does it work for you? I've tried it multiple times since the release of Leopard and I've never seen it work. But maybe there's some trick I'm missing?

-Dennis

Dennis,

It's been a long time since I tried assigning a keystroke to a script using anything other than FastScripts or LaunchBar, so I took another look at doing this myself. Assigning a keystroke to a script using the Keyboard and Mouse preferences is still possible with Leopard-if the application puts up its own script menu, as is the case with apps like DEVONthink Pro and Word.

However, with the universal script menu (activated with AppleScript Utility), it's not that simple. Since you posted that it does not work for you, and since I'm not one to shrink away from a challenge, especially after I put my foot in my mouth, I've spent some (entirely too much) time exploring this. It is possible to activate the universal script menu using the keyboard, and this keystroke is set using the Keyboard and Mouse preference 'Move focus to status menus in the menu bar', which by default is set Ctrl-F8. You can then use the cursor key to navigate the menu, or type the first few letters, of the script, and type return to run the script. If one wanted to use this method, then prepending the name of the script with numbers would be a relativity fast way to select the desired script.

I also found that you can assign a keystroke to the script, and that shortcut will be active in the menu once the menu is activated with Ctrl-F8. However, the system will try to open the script in Script Editor rather than running the script, so there's no utility in doing this. The way to do this, just to prove it can be done, is to create the shortcut in 'All Applications' rather than selecting OmniFocus, and then you have to log-out and back in to see the shortcuts in the menu. For whatever reason, applying the shortcut to OmniFocus does not work, but as the keystroke opens the script rather than running it, it's a moot point.

Bottom line is FastScripts is the way to go-most of the features are available for free (Up to 10 shortcuts), and the registered version is only $15.

Thanks for the thorough response, Greg! Your research mirrors my experience exactly. I came to the same conclusion a while back when trying to assign a keyboard shortcut to set iChat status from its menu bar icon. As you have confirmed, it seems Apple's Menu Extras (all the little icons appearing at the right end of the menu bar) can only be manipulated via the keyboard using the 'Move focus to status menus in the menu bar' preference and then selecting the item with arrow keys, which seems so inconvenient it's easier to just use the mouse. :-)

Unfortunately, it seems few apps display their own script menu (i.e. one that isn't a Menu Extra and can therefore have keyboard shortcuts assigned to its contents), probably because the developers of those apps don't see a need to replicate the system-provided script menu. It seems like it's usually older, Carbon-based apps that provide their own script menus, like BBEdit, Word, etc. (maybe because they existed before Apple provided the system-wide script menu in OS X?).

So I agree a third party utility is the best way to go in this case. Or maybe Omni will just assign a keyboard shortcut to toggle the sequential/parallel switch, or at least add a command to the OmniFocus menu bar so we can assign our own keyboard shortcuts to it.

Anyway, thanks again for your analysis, Greg. It's good to know I wasn't simply missing a key step (pun intended :-).

-Dennis