The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

How to sync Inbox? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjornkri View Post
When I now do a sync from OF, these new items do get placed in my Inbox, but they are assigned the first context in my list, people, and this is reflected in iCal:
Woops, sorry, my mistake! I was remembering the old sync'ing behavior—but on November 15, we made some changes to iCal synchronization to ensure that new inbox items created from iCal would stay visible to iCal after being synchronized, namely (quoting from that day's message of the day):
  1. New actions created in an iCal calendar which synchronizes with more than one context will be automatically assigned to the first synchronized context.
  2. Inbox items assigned to a synchronized context will be published to the appropriate iCal calendar.

So what I described was the old behavior (which upset a number of people when their calendar to dos disappeared after synchronizing), and what you're describing is, in fact, the expected behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
Yes, that makes sense to me. We can't make this change for this Tuesday's 1.0 release, but we can look into this for 1.1.
Okay -- thanks for considering the request. I think I'm going to be spoiled by the great work Omni has done in the beta process for OF leading up to Tuesday. You mean I have to wait for a 1.1 release to see the new feature? :-)

I've only been tracking the OF beta process for about a month now, but in that time I have to say the development team has been great in a) responding to user feedback as the product evolved; and b) pushing on daily stable releases of software. It is a process that admirable and enviable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
So what I described was the old behavior (which upset a number of people when their calendar to dos disappeared after synchronizing), and what you're describing is, in fact, the expected behavior.
Too bad! I never understood how this worked until you explained it, and I kind of preferred that behaviour to what actually happens :P

That said, before all this I was really looking for exactly what DataGazetteer suggested, so I'm glad to hear it will be considered for 1.1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataGazetteer View Post
That "default iCal calendar" is not known to OF because it isn't really a "context" -- it is an inbox of items. That's why I'm looking for a preference option that says "sweep tasks from the selected iCal calendar(s) into the OF inbox".
This would be relatively easy to do with Applescript, especially if it was OK to delete them from iCal after they were added to the inbox.

-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptone View Post
This would be relatively easy to do with Applescript, especially if it was OK to delete them from iCal after they were added to the inbox.
That would be okay, but unfortunately I'm inexperienced in Applescript...

Hi,

I realize that this is an old thread, but I just started using OF and am running into the same problem (perhaps just a conceptual problem, perhaps a missing feature) that seems to be affecting others. Namely, I'd like to be able to capture tasks on my Palm when I'm out and about, and then get those to appear in my OF Inbox after syncing Palm -> iCal -> OF.

To my mind, the Inbox is the natural place for things that have no context yet - however, OF will currently allow (unless I'm misunderstanding) only assigning of *contexts* to sync with OF. When I create a task while out on the run, I like it to be quick entry - I don't assign a project or context (which is problematic anyway outside of OF, as it would have to be parsed somehow). So quick-entry items in Palm To-dos sync to Unfiled calendar in iCal. I'd like to then sync this calendar to the OF Inbox, and do the work of assigning projects and contexts when I'm back at my computer.

Specifically, then, is there a way to have a new task (created outside of OF) sync from iCal and arrive in OF *without a context* assigned, preferably into my Inbox. I guess I'm looking for a preference item that is something like "Choose iCal calendar to sync to OF Inbox".

Thanks,

Eric

Hi folks,

Same problem and wish list here: being able to add on-the-fly tasks/ideas on my Palmas unfiled (=no context). Then sync Palm->iCal->OF and get these to appear in my OF inbox.

Any update on the matter?

Cheers

Nico