The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

keyword shortcuts for workspaces Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Camino has a nice feature where you can give a keyword shortcut to a tab group (a bookmark folder), so you can open the group with a keyword that you type in the location bar, just like for individual bookmarks. Why not allow the same thing for workspaces? For me, these shortcuts may be easier to remember than the F-keys, especially if they are changing.

The only difference is that you wouldn't be opening the tabs in the current window as in Camino's tab groups, but I'm assuming it would be possible to treat the keyword in the location bar as the equivalent of hitting one of the F-keys, so it just switches to the appropriate workspace.

Edit: If having keyword shortcuts for workspaces from the location bar is too radical an idea, then I'd still like to have keywords for folders as in Camino, even though you wouldn't have all of the features of workspaces. You've already the got the field in the bookmark info, it's just greyed out for folders.

Last edited by FredH; 2006-11-17 at 09:15 AM..

That's a very nice idea.

Just to remind you: If you want to be sure that a feature request is considered by the Omni staff, use the feedback function in the help menu. They read this forum, yes, but a feedback will definitely make it into their database, a forum post may not. Plus, your request will be answered, and they will tell you what they think about your request. ;-)

Incidentally, is there a way to change which F-key gets assigned to a particular workspace, and keep it that way?

A workaround, at least: Name your workspaces with numbers, like "1 - Search", "2 - News", "3 - Music" and so on. Don't delete workspaces, only put sth in you count as deleted, like your start page or sth. By the numbers, they will always be in the same order, even if you add new workspaces. And by not deleting any, you won't change that order, either.

Not very nice, but the only way I know.

launching workspaces is finally nothing else than launching web links or groups of links.
this is easily to be achieved with e.g. Butler

see Inquisitor thread in this forum:
http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=1895

put all links of the workspace into a new Butler container and define it as an item that opens all contained children and create a shortcut for it: lightning fast access even from any other application that happens to be the frontmost

get Butler here, it's free:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/12170

and, no, i'm not affiliated with but convinced by Butler

Last edited by Omnius; 2006-11-24 at 10:37 AM..