The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Top ten feature requests Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Thanks a lot people.. omni group forums rock... u r the best...

I agree with a lot of these feature requests. I just want to add another vote for the current implementation of tabs. Choice is, of course, always good, but please, whatever you do, don't remove the tab sidebar. Visual tabs are so much easier to navigate because you can see what's on the page. Also, everyone knows that vertical space trumps horizontal space in a web browser :)

• Quote:
  • Add a conventional tab bar (#12937)
  • As an option in the Preferences would be great.

Quote:
  • Incremental page search (find as you type) (#15247)
  • And with better highlighting would be great.

Quote:
  • Undo support for closing tabs/windows (#13237)
  • Yes

Quote:
  • Support multiple logins (username/passwords) per website, autocomplete logins (#13995)
  • Would be cool if a prompt came up that said "Login with..."

Quote:
  • New tabs should open up as a child of, or next to, a root tab (#17671)
  • Again, as an option would be fantastic

I'll be editing this post with suggestions of mine as they come up but the list covers most of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotank View Post
I agree with a lot of these feature requests. I just want to add another vote for the current implementation of tabs. Choice is, of course, always good, but please, whatever you do, don't remove the tab sidebar. Visual tabs are so much easier to navigate because you can see what's on the page.
Yup! Main reason I stick with OmniWeb (along with the fact I used to use it way back on NeXTSTEP) is the visual tabs on the side. Works perfectly fine on my 24" iMac at home and my dual monitor set up at work. I do understand about the need to conserve space which is why I use Safari when on my 10" netbook. But when you have a nice big screen, OmniWeb's visual tabs rock!

what about performance?

Right now, the thing that is making me consider switching to Safari is it’s just a lot faster than OW. A LOT faster. I’d REALLY like to stay in OmniWeb, have used it as my default browser for years, but it’s falling behind re performance.

Also, any plans to add tagging functionality to bookmarks? For me, this would be very helpful. If not, there is currently the ability to add keywords to a bookmark entry but I see no facility for using that data element. Being able to search bookmarks by keyword would be a nice way to leverage data you already allow for.

For pure performance I might agree with you, however, one of the things I am also concerned about is memory utilization. In this, OmniWeb actually seems to be doing better than Safari.

With three windows and maybe 15 tabs, Safari's currently using a stupendous 612 MB right now. OmniWeb seldom takes more than 500 for me, and that's when it's been up and running for a few days.

I'm going to be trying one of the sneaky peaks I think and see if the performance is still that much different.

right now I have 21 tabs open in Safari, the number of tabs varies but it’s been over a dozen for awhile, and it’s been open for several days. It’s using 284 MB of real memory.

I haven’t had any memory consumption issues with Safari. Now, I'm running some adblock stuff and a ‘click to flash’ app that requires clicking on a flash application to run it, so maybe that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmathes View Post
right now I have 21 tabs open in Safari, the number of tabs varies but it’s been over a dozen for awhile, and it’s been open for several days. It’s using 284 MB of real memory.

I haven’t had any memory consumption issues with Safari. Now, I'm running some adblock stuff and a ‘click to flash’ app that requires clicking on a flash application to run it, so maybe that helps.
Hrm. Interesting. It's something that I'll have to monitor. Though I'm the sort that keeps trying Safari and other browsers and ends up back on OmniWeb because of the feature set. To me, OmniWeb a better total package than the other browsers. If all 10 of these get put in, I'm a super happy camper.

I'm trying the latest SneakyPeak now. I'm hoping perhaps that some memory issues are also addressed either through the webkit upgrades, or things the Omni Group have identified.

believe me, I would be VERY happy to switch back to OmniWeb. I like the feature set and the look and feel a lot, much better than any other browser.

But compared to Safari, it’s performance had just gotten unacceptably slow. I did some informal timing tests, loading various web pages in both browsers. Safari consistently loaded 30-40% faster than Safari, for me.