The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Split one item into two? Join two into one? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
If I import a few paragraphs from a document into an OOPro outline, how can I go through and make each paragraph its own item? In other words, can I put the cursor at the beginning of a paragraph - or line, or sentence - and hit a key combination that will split that item at that point into two items? I'm doing it now with cutting and pasting, and it's laborious.

Similarly, is there a easier way than cutting and pasting to select several items and join them into one?

Paragraphs will go into their own row if you past out of row editing mode (the escape key will toggle row editing row).

You can also use control-return to split the row at the cursor and control-delete to join.

Perfect. Thanks.

Further to this, is there a key command to then split some of the imported text to become a note?

Sorry no, maybe an AppleScript?

Hi,

I've just started using outliner and found this tip useful. Am I missing it, or is this keyboard command missing from all the help-files? I can't find it (the ctrl-rtn and ctrl-del) anywhere in my mac omnioutliner v3.5 help files.

I'd like to find more such commands!

thanks,
tim

They're listed under Help -> Keyboard Commands. However these two specific ones are a little tricky to locate. In the preferences there is an option to control the behavior of pushing the return key (either make a new row or splitting at the cursor). You will see in the preferences it lists that the control key reverses that setting. It's the same in the keyboard list, there's a note saying the control key reverses the split preference. So these two commands are listed as "Add row below selection" and "Add row above selection".

got it!
tim

Version 1.7.1? Are you using OmniFocus by chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by muski View Post
I can't seem to split items using ctrl-return or join them with ctrl-delete. Ctrl-return just adds a new item under the one I am trying to split.

Also, I don't see Keyboard Commands menu under the Help menu item.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Thanks,
muski

Yes. Sorry!