The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

help please: how do i search for project names? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
hello all,

thread title says it all. i have a ton of projects and it's very frustrating that i can only search tasks and not projects (to avoid creating a project that already exists). either i'm missing something or this is not available.

thanks in advance.

My first question would be if you have anything selected in either the main window or the sidebar. Usually if I want to search everything I deselect all items first. This could be causing you to not see specific results for your existing projects in the search results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
My first question would be if you have anything selected in either the main window or the sidebar. Usually if I want to search everything I deselect all items first. This could be causing you to not see specific results for your existing projects in the search results.
following that line of thinking i have now tried searching by selecting "library" in the sidebar first (so as to include all of my projects and tasks in the search) and that worked. thanks for that. here's my followup question:

is there a way to search project names only? (to exclude tasks and subtasks from the search essentially)

thanks.

No. At least not directly in OmniFocus.

Personally I use the application Alfred to search OmniFocus. There is a is a workflow for Alfred — OmniFocus Task Actions — which I use. Using workflows requires purchasing of the power pack for Alfred and the workflow can be found here.

http://markokaestner.com/projects/of...ks-from-alfred

Thanks Dale. I'm an Alfred user so I'll give your suggestion a look, OF support has also put in an internal dev. request for this feature after I contacted them.

Thanks.