The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Features needed: Locations for Contexts, or iPhone and sneakypeek 1.1 Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by triangle View Post
Can I somewhere officially request such a feature?
Use Help -> Send Feedback in the OmniFocus menu bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
blewis, I think this should work for you:

"home depot" OR lowes OR "ace hardware"

(It's important to enter "OR" in uppercase.)
That's a great tip, and I'll be able to use it in my local area. But one of the most promising things about Business Search locations is also sort of a weakness: I'd like to know where the nearest real grocery store is when out of town (and my explicit A OR B OR C list may not correspond to grocery chains in that area), but half the time it just shows me a Shell or Arco station's mini-mart, because they are listed as grocery stores. Not helpful when I need to shop for Thanksgiving dinner fixings.

Of course, sometimes a Coke and bag of Cheet-Os may be all I need and the mini-mart would be great, so the real issue is that the Business Search database taxonomy (wherever that lives) doesn't have sufficient granularity to serve my common use cases. (Or maybe it does - I'm blind guessing what keywords will work as business searches, so if there is a published taxonomy, can you point me to it?)

A solution that would provide lots of other benefits would be to show all the relevant businesses within a set radius, and include them ALL on the Google map you link to from the <1 mile button in the location headers. This is pretty much what other business search apps like Yelp do, and it's infinitely useful. It would help me screen out the mini marts, and also choose to go .1 mile further to a supermarket that I knew had the brand of whatever I preferred. Getting a single, closest hit is just not helpful enough that I'm even confident I'll get in the habit of using locations, and I LOVE the idea.

Speaking of <1mile, I haven't found anywhere to set the location radius (again, like Yelp), but will keep looking through the forums and docs. If you don't have that, PLEASE do add it. Sometimes I'm in the middle of a dense city, sometimes I'm out in rural areas. I guess that even more useful than a distance meter would just be a threshold setting for how many results, with the distance of each listed and the list ordered by distance.

Very promising product - I'm not someone who will spend time to administer organizational tools, so I'm hoping that OmniFocus' added value (like locations - Killer Feature, if done right) will balance well against the amount of effort it takes to use it.

It's been 2 years since the idea of getting OmniFocus for Mac location-aware.

I can't set up location-aware contexts on my Mac - need to go to my iPhone or iPad for that.

Why? No clue. Add this to the list of things that are poorly coordinated among the OmniFocus apps.

Last edited by BK0001; 2010-07-31 at 12:44 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK0001 View Post
It's been 2 years since the idea of getting OmniFocus for Mac location-aware.

I can't set up location-aware contexts on my Mac - need to go to my iPhone or iPad for that.

Why? No clue. Add this to the list of things that are poorly coordinated among the OmniFocus apps.
Isn't there a workaround using one of the location-configuration apps?

Not sure how this shows "bad coordination among OF apps" anyway–OF Mac isn't specifically designed to work on laptops, which in any case don't have as much mobility as an iPhone/iPad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramatsu View Post
But one of the most promising things about Business Search locations is also sort of a weakness: I'd like to know where the nearest real grocery store is when out of town (and my explicit A OR B OR C list may not correspond to grocery chains in that area), but half the time it just shows me a Shell or Arco station's mini-mart, because they are listed as grocery stores.
Sounds like that's a problem with Google maps more than with OF, no? There's a TED talk by the guy who invented the Internet (TM) or something like that about a parallel open-source project I think... whichever way you go, information about businesses on maps is going to be partial in either sense of the term, methinks.