The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

zoomed text editor icon coming back in 5.6? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyb
For those interested in the Safari resizable text area. We're creating a hidden preference that will enable them in OmniWeb.
That's very useful, and I can imagine that many people will be very happy to find this feature in OmniWeb as well. At the same time, it's not really easy to discover, and those who do not visit these forums on a regular basis will never find out about it. Why make it a hidden preference? Just enable it by default, or make it a visible preference in the preferences window!

It might be because as a hidden preference it doesn't really matter if it sometimes breaks stuff - if it's default or in the prefs it needs a lot more testing. I imagine it would make it there in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein
That's very useful, and I can imagine that many people will be very happy to find this feature in OmniWeb as well. At the same time, it's not really easy to discover, and those who do not visit these forums on a regular basis will never find out about it. Why make it a hidden preference? Just enable it by default, or make it a visible preference in the preferences window!
We may in the future but as dangerous says, it may break and we don't consider this a supported feature at the moment. It may show up on by default later though! Particularly if people find it useful to have available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyb
We may in the future but as dangerous says, it may break and we don't consider this a supported feature at the moment. It may show up on by default later though! Particularly if people find it useful to have available.
Thanks for clarifying this. And by all means, do consider supporting this feature in the furture; as a matter of fact, I'm playing around with it just now as I'm typing this message. Not because I really need to, but because I can. ;-)

It's absolutely golden. It's the way things like this should work. This is why I love the Mac!

I'm pretty sure Firefox 3 will support this property as well so maybe it will become a standard feature people expect to see down the road.

I think a button in the toolbar would be a good way to go with this also one for rss (maybe in the address bar like safari does?) feeds would be useful so I don't have to have the status bar showing.

It's worth pointing out at this stage that the major disadvantage that the zoomable text areas suffer from relative to the zoomed text editor is the inability to specify your own fonts and (more importantly) font sizes. I hope the intention is to keep both rather than drop the zoomed text editor in favour of the text area solution?

The zoomed editor will not be going anywhere. (It continues to be my preference as well.)

Glad to hear it. Admittedly, the scalable text areas feature is very cool now I have activated it. ;)